Wednesday 26 April 2017

26/04/17 - CAMRA London Pub Walks - Maida Vale

Pubs - 4
Walk Inspiration - Camra's London Pub Walks, Walk 7


To say I have had my money's worth from this book is an understatement.  I started ticking off the 30 adventures in September 2006.  Here I am 11 years later, 2/3rds of the way through it and fully in the knowledge that two new editions have subsequently been released.  I'll make a promise to the Author, Bob Steel, that when I finish the book, I'll buy the new version and start all over again.

At the moment, I am enjoying how London is constantly changing but forever the same.  Nowhere is this more true than with the pubs.

Walk 7 is Little Venice and Maida Vale.  With Duffy's "Warwick Avenue" swirling around my head, I plod from my Oxford Street Hotel through Paddington and into one of the more opulent parts of the Capital.

Warwick Castle - Warwick Place - Trumans Swift

I've been here before.  One of London's nicer walks is to take in Primrose Hill, drop down to the Regents Canal and alight here for refreshments.

The pub is old school - all wood paneling, monster Bass Mirrors and full to rafters with punters.

I can also guarantee that it will look beautiful from the outside by the time you get here.

Warwick Castle
Painters and Decorators are in
Did I say it was busy?  Getting to the bar would be a challenge for a shy and retiring wall flower but not for an inner city explorer in a 16 pocket adventure coat.   I push my way through to panic buy a pint of Truman's Swift.  After some hovering at the fine fireplace, I eventually get a seat to put up with as much cod reggae from the over loud sound system that I can put up with.

Warwick Castle
Big Pint.  Small Man.

The Bridge House, Westbourne Terrace - Nothing



Bridge House
Canal - Cafe - Theatre

Gonna have to admit that despite my attire, I was not feeling adventurous enough to enter an establishment labelled Cafe / Theatre.

It didn't say pub.

The Prince Alfred, 5a Formosa Street - Youngs Special

What a discovery, and an indication of what is to come from the evening's exploration.

It looks classic London from the outside.

Prince Alfred
All fairly standard
Inside, there's a reason why its also in CAMRA's "Best Real Ale Heritage Pubs Book".

The horse shoe bar is divided into Sections through some rather excellent wooden partitions, complete with snob glass and a low door - all of 3ft - which you can limbo through.

I know this, as I went right to left and back again in the eventually successful mission to track down the the single French barman.

Prince Alfred
Portal to another World
It's all worth it though.   The Young's Special was easily the pint of the night, enjoyed as I took in more of the surroundings - including the ornate bar and fine tile work.  I could show you all the pictures, but encourage you to go for yourself.

Prince Alfred
Best Pint in Maida Vale

The Warrington Hotel, Warrington Crescent - Sambrook's Juntion

The ornate exterior should have prepared me for what was inside.  But it didn't quite.

Warrington Hotel
Prepare for Opulence 
I really should have been dressed in top hat and tails.  I defy anyone to come from the upstairs lav, survey their surrounds and not feel exactly like the Duke of Downtown Abbey (if indeed he was a duke, never watched it).

Warrington Hotel
Palatial
I really have no problem paying nearly a lady for a pint when its enjoyed in such circumstances.

This may well be my new favourite "ornate pub to impress someone new to London".  Soz, the Blackfriar.  And the Princess Louise's toilets.

Crockers Folly, 24 Aberdeen Place - No Real Ale

I might have lost out on the Bridge House due to strange advertising but I may have gained one.  This place was closed up when the guide was originally written, but in an attempt to get back to my lodgings, I thought I would investigate.

The lights are on and the Window says "Public Bar".   I am in.

Crockers Folly
Reborn -  Crocker's Folly
 And in terms of punters, I am all alone.

Three apron adorned men pounce on me, obviously keen to earn their service charge for giving you change on a silver platter.

I can see no pumps.  I am not in Kansas anymore.  I ask for a real ale.

Crockers Folly
Birre Reale
Lonely - and not enjoying the TOTP style cover version of Katy Perry's California Gurls, I started tweeting.  I was advised to check out the marble interior, so I went for a mooch.  The three men in aprons all followed me to see if "I needed any assistance".

When this happens, its time to call it a night.  Some real pleasures and a couple of places that should be visited by all pub connoisseurs.

Five pubs, three classics and two in disguise.


No comments:

Post a Comment