Sunday 16 April 2017

16/04/17 - Two CAMRA Good Pub Ticks in Hanley Broadheath

Distance - 7.6 Miles
Walk Inspiration - Walks in Warwickshire and Worcestershire by Des Wright
Geocaches - 2

Once again, the CAMRA Good Beer Guide has been put to good use - providing the inspiration for walks in previously unheard of local areas.  It appears that I am not alone in not knowing the area.

No one knows where we are
E's are Good.  No one knows where we are.
You can only assume that Worcester CAMRA members have had a trip out to the sticks. In this quiet hill overlooking the Teme Valley, there are two pubs within half a mile of each other. And both have made the 2017 Good Beer Guide.

But first, the walk. And it's one that delivered a number of unexpected OMG moments.

OMG Moment One - a quick walk along the road and out into the countryside on the path down to Hanley William Church.  Superb views over the Clee Hills.

Walk Start
Straight on it
OMG Moment Two - Hanley William Church is totally isolated.  But it contains a secret.  One that only Geocachers know about.  The clue is under the pew on the right hand side.  Having bagged loads of Church Micros, I have never before been encouraged to enter the premises for my hunt.

I shouldn't have been surprised - the CO is called "TemevalleyVicar"!

Hanley William Church
Hanley William Church
Hanley William Church Geocache
And its Geocaching Secret

OMG Moment Three - and not such a good one.  I have a lovely walk past Hanley Court, attempting to get the resident peacock to display its feathers for the blog and attempt to use the public footpaths in Hanley Dingle.  The public have not been using them.  Worst set of paths I have ever experienced.  If you are following in my footsteps, bring a machete.  Or Napalm.

The Bad Path
Hanley Dingle.  Overgrown
Views emerge
But does lead to fine views over Abberley

The walk is called "Down on the Temeside" and there is a two mile stretch along the valley floor, offering only the occassional glimpse of the river.  We turn off just before Eastham, scene of the 2016 bridge collapse.  I meet only one car, who stops.  Its an elderly fella, taking a suitcase on the passenger seat for a spin.  He's been driving up and down looking for signs to Droitwich.  I explain he's a good 20 miles away but point him in roughly the right direction.

Teme Valley Floor
Quiet Road not to Droitwich
OMG Moment Three - More stunning views and I discover something I've not seen in Worcestershire before.  Waterfalls.  There's several on Piper's Brook but the most magnificent is a 30 foot drop that couldn't be photographed properly, as I just couldn't get close enough.  It was also in an area marked Death's Dingle on the map and I wasn't hanging around.

Views
Views on the Climb out of the Valley
Waterfalls
The Smaller Waterfall near Death's Dingle

OMG Moment Four - A ruined cottage, where the front door was open just enough to warrant an explore.  There is something deeply creepy about being in deserted houses.   I came over all Blair Witch.

All gone a bit Blair Witch
Abandoned Cottage 
All gone a bit Blair Witch
Downstairs.  Yes, I went upstairs too.

The walk is over as soon as the first of the two GBG pubs comes into sight - stunning views, interesting things to explore and some seriously dodgy paths.
Tally Ho!
The Tally Ho! come into view
The Tally Ho!, Bell Lane, Hanley Broadheath

If you want a pub with views, this is for you.

Tally Ho!
From Butty Bach, to a Hoppy Hen, a HPA and a Gold
11:50am on a Sunday morning and they might be open but the till hasn't come downstairs.  Only a half for me, as I have two to investigate.  So I am forced to setup a tab.

Although my rather dainty glass is clearly marked Wye Valley, this was a Ludlow Gold.  They're both a favourite but this felt slightly wrong.  Or it might have just been because it was a half.

The pub slowly filled up with diners and some old boys talking about how surprised they were to see each other, even though you got the impression they popped in daily.

With more work to do, I settle my tab.  All £1.50 of it.

The Fox Inn, Presumably Bell Lane, Hanley Broadheath

Wheras the Tally Ho! has no reviews on my usual beer websites, the Fox is positively awash with them.  This, my favourite;

I went here on Boxing day and discovered that for a fiver you could shoot a few clay pigeons out the back! There's also an endurance lawnmower race on August bank holiday  
Who could fail to be entertained by riding around on lawnmowers with shotguns?

The place has a very down at heel feel about it, in common with many of the really old farms, where there is just a mish mash of ancient machinery lying around the place.  One room was completely full of junk - disco lights and broken furniture.   It looked like one of those C4 documentaries on hoarders.  The outside looked like it could use a lick of paint too.

The Fox Inn
C16th and in need of some TLC
There was plenty of charm.  I enjoyed a read of the history of the pub.  It's always an pleasure to see a short, unbroken line of landlords going back to 1815.  The regulars provided both the heart warming and the hilarious.  I saw the nicest ever greeting from grandkids to a grandparent.  I saw a couple of pensioners come in and the very stern lady pensioner wanted to sample all the available rose and white wines before declaring "they're all awful.  I'll have a Smirnoff ice".

I was delighted to see they sold Bathams.  Unfortunately, it wasn't in good condition - although to be fair, mine was the last half they pulled before changing the barrel.

The Fox Inn
Hops.  Logburner.

More great inspiration from the Good Beer Guide but I can't help but feel Worcester CAMRA got a bit over excited on their day trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment