Sunday 12 February 2017

11/02/17 - Wye to Thames - Walk 8 - Honeybourne to Moreton-In-Marsh

Distance - 12 Miles
Geocaches - 5
Previous Walks - Walk 1Walk 2Walk 3Walk 4Walk 5Walk 6Walk 7
Pubs - The Inn on the Marsh & The Black Bear in Moreton-in-Marsh

When looking in the guidebook of the walk from Hereford to Oxford along the stations of the Cotswold Railway Line, I always knew that stage 8 would be the "poster boy" for the entire route.

Plotting on the map and incorporating Dovers Hill, Chipping Camden and taking in long stretches of both the Monarch's Way and Heart of England Way should get the pulse racing of any amateur walker.  Finishing at a CAMRA Good Beer Guide pub in bustling Moreton-in-Marsh seemed unnecessary garnish.

A bit of snow thrown into the mix counteracted the lack of views caused by the lack of clear skies.

So, back to Honeybourne and an unnecessary detour into the village to look at the last leg's pub.  I can just about see the snow on the hills, but first I have to navigate the mud and frisky horses to get to Weston Sub Egde.  Handsome pub that will be checked out at a more convenient time and the first of today's geocaches, where dog muggles stop searching.

Seagrave Arms - Weston Sub Edge
See you next time, Seagrave Arms
Weston-Sub-Edge Church
Weston Sub Edge Church.  Failed on caching.  Learned about Medieval Fish Farming

The guide book warned me that this leg was more strenuous than others and I have a reasonably stiff climb up to Dover's Hill.  I remember it well from the Cotswold Way and other walks.  Normally, the views are more extensive.

Dovers Hill
Looking North over the Vale of Evesham
Dovers Hill
Looking East

Familiar ground on the Cotswold Way as I drop into the Chipping Campden.  Gorgeous as ever and full of temptation (euphemism, read pubs) but even on this, my upteenth visit, I find something new.

Chipping Campden and Graham Greene's House
New Blue Plaque - Grahame Greene Lived Here. 
As well as the Cotswold Way, CC is the meeting point for a number of other long distance paths.  I seeminly stumble on the 630ish mile Monarch's way everywhere in the country and I am rather pleased to get a taste for my next challenge, the Heart of England Way.  No issues in walking this section again in the future.

Its takes me to Broad Campden, smaller in scale to CC but equally full of interest (euphemism, read pub and ancient Quaker House).

Broad Campden
Bakers Arms just out of Shot
Next up, Blockley.  Reached on decent paths and a place that I have not been to before.  This will be rectified today and in the future for a more extensive visit.  Built on a hillside, it consists of multiple layers of streets revealing typically beautiful Cotswold architecture and an impressive church.

Near Blockley
Take me somewhere new
Blockley Church
Blockley - Lovely and worth a future exploration

Its more or less downhill to Moreton-in-Marsh now, skirting the edges of Batsford Arboretum before navigating field systems and delivered right into the centre of ultra wide high street.

12 miles done, no need to resist temptation any longer.  90 minutes until the train, I can fit in 2 of the 8 pubs.  First up, and slightly out of town, is the Good Beer Guide Entry.

The Inn on the Marsh, Stow Road, Ringwood Bitter
GBG in Moreton
GBG told me to come
I'm hoping for a roaring fire to get some warmth back in.  I am only disappointed in the fact that other buggers have got there before me.  I can sit in front of the bar on proper old school furniture or move into the annex on the left and relax on a lovely battered sofa.

If it had been nearer the fire, I might be still there now.  Gently snoozing, holding a half consumed Ringwood Best Bitter.  It was never going to happen, the cuckoo clock make a hell of racket on the hour.

Fine locals pub, with one other Ringwood, Hobgoblin and two unnoticed real ales.  The real surprise was the price.

£2.90.  And I am in the heart of the Cotswolds.  Bargain.

Ringwood Bitter
View from a Comfy Sofa
The Black Bear, High Street, Donnington BB



Black Bear in Moreton
Donnington Tied House
Two things brought me in here.  A peak through the window showed the football was on.  On lots and lots of TVs.  It makes sense that beerintheevening.com suggests that the landlord is an ex professional footballer.

Secondly, I have a sense of lotalty to Donnington Brewery when in the Cotswolds.  They have their own Long Distance Path to all their tied houses, so when I get around to doing it, I will be here again.

Its a long, cavernous pub full of dog walkers, diners (the stew smelled delightful to someone who ate a cheese and onion baguette on the hoof two hours ago), old school gentlemen boozers and the odd football fan.  I am not surprised at its popularity, the Donnington BB was an better value £2.70.  Take that, Banbury.

I settle at the last available table.  The referee blows for full time.

Donnington BB
When in Rome, count your change from three quid

No comments:

Post a Comment