Wednesday 2 November 2016

02/11/16 - The Dog and Doublet, Wolverhampton

Mrs Mappiman and myself find ourselves heading to Wolverhampton to see Rob Beckett at the Wulfrun Hall.

Its been a long, long time since I was last here.  There's really not much to entice the casual traveller. Memories of general dereliction, shabby shopping centres and a council working customer who would have 6 pints for his lunch.

That said, I have been aiming to get to the Great Western for some time.  The closest I have come to achieving this is changing trains for Smetwick Galton Bridge.

So before heading off for our evening of comedy, I quickly checked the GBG to see what might be about.  Most surprised to see 14 entries.

I can feel a pub crawl coming on.  I might meet my old customer.  I would remember him from his ox blood doctor martins and PM somnolence.

Tonight, we ticked off just the one.

Dog and Doublet, North Street


Random BeerintheEvening Quote - "There's also a great work ethic evident in maintaining the high standard in ale quality"
I've heard of dogs but unsure of exactly what a Doublet is.  A quick google and it would appear to be the type of outerwear that Tactics Tim Sherwood's Spanish uncle might wear.  And there was talk of him being the next Wolverhampton Manager on the drive in.

This is a new looking bar, just up the road from our comedy venue.  I went in the chair and ordered drinks.  Mrs Mappiman went to collect the tickets.

Dog and Doublet, Wolverhampton
Other SmartPhone photo had a car in it.
Longish bar in the main room.  Single member of staff, so I'll excuse the fact that all the tables needed a good wipe down.  Four real ales on and I went for a very decent Bishops Farewell from Oakham Ales.

Dog and Doublet, Wolverhampton
Oakham's Bishops Farewell
Dog and Doublet, Wolverhampton
Taken through the Arch

The overriding memory of our visit will be the music.  From the posters advertising "Soul All Nighters" to the rather apt Wooly Bully amid the various classic 60's tunes played throughout the bar.

The Gents needed to be seen to be believed as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment