Saturday 9 July 2016

09/07/16 - Wye to the Thames - Walk 2 - Ledbury to Colwall

Distance - 6.5 Miles
Geocaches - 9
Previous Walk
Pub - Prince of Wales, Ledbury, HPA


Continuing my journey from the Wye at Hereford to the Thames at Oxford along the Cotswold Rail Line.  Strictly speaking, this should be blogged as Colwall to Ledbury, as the lure of the Prince of Wales proves too strong.  I have unfinished business with Ledbury - I need to check in this fine pub in the Cask Finder App (after all, it was here that it was discovered) and there is a cheeky little micro Geocache that I have had a tip off about.

So, leave the train at Colwall, admire the walkers map and in a first, head away from the Malverns.

Malvern Views
Walking Away from the Malverns
I love it when a planned walk has a high concentration of unexpected Geocaches.  At Colwall Church, I find the first of a Circular series called Wellies and Wine.  The caches accompany me to the top of Oyster Hill, where I leave the trail to continue my linear walk.

Unsure if I have been up Oyster Hill before and it provides fine walking along the Geopark Way and super views over the full length of Malvern Hills.

Orchard on Way to Oyster Hill
Through the Orchards onto Oyster Hill

Oyster Hill
View from Oyster Hill
I don't really lose any height from Oyster Hill before I am walking through Frith Woods to another elevated position of Bradlow Knool.  The path is superb but unfortunately, the trees obliterate any potential views.

Agreed - Frith Woods
Have to agree with the Sentiment

Drop down to the wonderfully named Cut Throat Lane and follow what I think is an old railway line that takes me back into Ledbury.  The church bells are peeling for my arrival.

Ledbury Peeking
Ledbury Emerges
Ledbury is once again a hotbed of excitement.  In the first leg of this walk, I was nearly press-ganged into joining the Morris Dancers.  Today, it's the Poetry Festival.  Outside the Prince of Wales is a large yellow tube that looks like it should be on a ship.  Press a button and a poem is read out for you.

The trains back are hourly and I have 30 minutes to reacquaint myself with the pub.  I wrote last time about how good it is.  You really should go.

Pint demolished, pub checked into the App and the cheeky little geocache found - directly in front of a busker playing some decent blues.

My work in Ledbury is now done.

The Prince of Wales
No finer setting
Wye Valley HPA
Identical shot to the pint on the last leg



No comments:

Post a Comment