Thursday 9 June 2016

08/06/16 - Outer Circle Route 11 - Stage 3 - Perry Barr to Acock's Green

Distance - 9 Miles
Geocaches - 5
Pub 1 - The Hare and Hounds, Erdington, Tribute
Pub 2 - The Inn on the Green, Acock's Green, Horny Goat Ale
First Stage
Second Stage

The walking journey around the route of Birmingham's Outer Circle route 11 comes to an end. The First Stage brought interest and surprisingly leafy walking.  The Second Stage brought fear.  The most interesting thing about this stage (Camra's Birmingham Pub of the Year 2015 aside) has been the weather.

In a break from the norm, I am walking this stage anti-clockwise.  As much as this upsets the natural order of things, it's just easier to get to Acock's Green by public transport.  Even if it does mean that I will end up in the badlands of Perry Barr.  I'll just hop on the bus quickly.

I could have caught the bus before the walk - but it's rush hour and nothing appears to be moving. There's also a very ominous black cloud above, so I think I should get a wriggle on.

Residents of Acocks Green
Residents of Acocks Green
The caching starts on the other side of the A45, where Oaklands recreation ground provides the only greenery of the day and some views over Birmingham in the far distance.

Crossing the A45
Under the A45
Birmingham from Oaklands
Birmingham - about to get the air cleared

Yardley gives way to Stechford, which gives way to Ward End.  Unlike London, there is nothing to tell these places apart - well at least not along the bus route.  To be fair to Yardley, there is a brown sign for old Yardley Village which may be worth exploring one day.

Under the M6 and the first flash of lightening and rumble of thunder.

Under the M6
M6
Dressed for my urban safari in shorts and T-Shirt, I have no choice to find shelter.  I'm sure the best place in a thunder storm is not a metal bus shelter but what am I supposed to do?  Have you seen the pubs of Erdington?

I sit it out for the best part of an hour, providing bemusement to genuine travellers of the Number 11 who ask why I am not boarding.

It turns out to be one hell of a storm.  When I eventually arrive home, the local news is full of incidents, including the now compulsory footage of cars stuck in flood water.  400 emergency calls were received in this hour.

So what's wrong with the pubs of Erdington?  On the route, there are two Cask Marque accredited establishments.

The first, a stone clad monstrosity decked out in Wolverhampton Wanderers colours, should tell you everything you need to know.  A plastic pub of the highest order.  I am actually that thirsty that I venture in, see all the real ales are "clip backwards" and cannot bring myself to stay.  Still, I have a look for the barcode to scan into the App.  Is this cheating?

Cask Marque Pub 1 - The Village Green
Flaming Nora
The next is a Hungry Horse.  God help me.  I think I need to wait till the Good Pub Guide produces a ticking app and knock these off instead.  I like my pubs with a bit of history and gnarly locals.  Not one where you have to queue behind a man who has loaded his families massive order of fried food into his smartphone, yet doesn't know whether he wants 5 Onion Rings or 20.

Apparently in a Hungry Horse, these are the choices.

Still, I need refreshment and the Tribute was in great condition.  Couldn't find the CM Bar Code.

Cask Marque Pub 2 - Hare and Hounds
Anyone for Rock and Roll Bingo?
Back under the M6 and delivered into Witton.  Things get edgier.  I look for a cache and narrowly avoid being knocked over by a pavement mounted cyclist.  I can imagine the subsequent discussion and looking at the size of him, how it would have ended.
Villa Park from Witton
Villa Park - looming over Witton
Hit Perry Barr and its all over.  The Outer Circle has been completed.

Was it worth it?  Yes.
Would I do it again?  No.

Wait 40 minutes for an every 8 minute bus to whisk me back to where I should be.  Then it is further delayed and cannot go down its normal route due to flooding.

Still, I am safely back and I have Birmingham's 2016 Camra pub of the year to investigate.

The Inn on the Green is suffering on the outside by being bedecked in scaffolding.  It's all very pleasant on the inside.

Inn on the Green, Acock's Green
It has the Cask Marque bar code and bar mats but doesn't appear in the App. 
Inn on the Green, Acock's Green
Sumptuous

And the beer?  There are only three choices, which I was a touch surprised at.  And all three are all unheard off.

I refuse to ask the 20 something barmaid for my choice by name, choosing instead to point at the middle one.

An inspired choice, the Horny Goat from a small Welsh Brewery Twt Lol was superb.  Even if it did take me an age to find it for check in the Untappd App.

Inn on the Green, Acock's Green
Horny Goat

No comments:

Post a Comment