Saturday 4 June 2016

03/06/16 - Outer Circle Route 11 - Stage 1 - Acock's Green to Selly Oak

Distance - 9 Miles
Geocaches - 4
Pub 1 - Hare and Hounds, Kings Heath, Purity UBU
Pub 2 - The Bristol Pear, Selly Oak, Bombardier Burning Gold


My list of "To-Do" walks is both long and varied.  One item that has been there for a long, long time is to walk the 27 Miles of the Outer Circle bus route around Birmingham.  A journey that Frank Skinner wanted condemned to Room 101.

So I suppose the obvious question that blogfans would ask is "Why?"

Three reasons.


  1. I like Urban Walking as much as Country Walking.  Always something of interest and easy transport links.
  2. This is "PsychoGeography" at is finest.  I have no reason to be along this bus route.  What will I find today?
  3. Despite Birmingham being my home town (moved as a 2 year old, not on my own accord), it's to my eternal damnation that I know both London and Edinburgh better.  I vowed to make this change and walking the suburbs should provide an opportunity to identify which, if any, areas I would like to come back to.

Good enough for you to keep reading?  I hope so.

So I start at Acock's Green.  All great journeys start with a single step and mine starts by following a shoulder riding toddler along the High Street who is wailing at his mother below that "I just want to take the bus".

Acocks Green
The Green - at Acock's Green
Walking starts now along the tree lined Fox Hollies Road.  I could be marching along the Champs-Elysees.

Fox Hollies Road
Fox Hollies
One of my early Birmingham Adventures took us to Moseley Bog - the supposed inspiration for Tolkien's middle earth.  I am back again.  The streets and mill always induce a childish giggle.

Do your own Anagrams
Easy Anagram
Sarehole Mill
The Mill

Unfortunately, we don't get to see anything of Moseley centre.  I will save that for another trip.

One thing that is obvious is that London does green space better than anywhere.  Birmingham has some and todays' first example is Swanhurst Park.  I get to take a break from breathing diesel fumes by walking the water's edge.

Swanhurst Park
Pool at Swanhurst Park
Kings Heath is break time.  Its about half way around and home of the legendary Hare and Hounds Pub.  Its a famous live music and comedy venue.  It hosted UB40s first gig but we cannot hold this against them.  Goldie is coming to town later this year.  Not every local has a bone fide Bond villian to entertain them.

The pub is simply wonderful - spacey with a mixed clientele of Old Boys reading the papers, middle aged boys talking loudly about how Nirvana's last UK Gig (I was there) provided inspiration to take up guitar and ultra trendy youths who I assume were associated with tonight's band - The Young Pilgrims.  There has to be a reason to wear such pointy brown suede boots in public.

Photos tell the story - but it was a wrench to peel myself off the Chesterfield and not blow the housekeeping on Purity UBU.

Hare and Hounds, Kings Heath
Missed the UB40 Plaque - Found the Cask Marque Plaque
Hare and Hounds, Kings Heath
My local has a fortnightly quiz.
Hare and Hounds, Kings Heath
Lovely tiled interior
Purity UBU
Purity on a Chesterfield.

I will be back.  I've joined the mailing list and followed them on twitter.  Where do they sell winkle pickers in a 9 and half?

Back into the evening sun and through the grounds of the church yard.  I liked the way they had incorporated headstones into the paving.

Kings Heath
Kings Heath Church - Dominating the High Street
Urban Caching starts on the way through Stirchley, which gives way to Cotteridge.  My favourite of many fancy dress and party shops (I am not making this up, South Birmingham is Party Central) revels in its shabby chic.

Favourite Commercial Premises
You are not filling my balloons thank you very much.
Into Bournville - and yes, its so quaint, it really does smell of chocolate.  I wouldn't live there mind, no pubs.  This photo tells you all you need to know about beneficent living.

All you need to know about Bournville
Into Bournville
Bournville Chruch - Modern Basilica
And its oddly styled Church

Up hill and I am into Selly Oak.  The Queen Elizabeth Hospital looms in the distance like a city from the future.  I'll get a better photo angle next leg.

And the post walk refreshment - the rather brilliant Bristol Pear.  Once again, another pub offering nothing but entertainment for its lucky hipsters.  Huge pool room/sport tv room around the back, drinking room around the side and a restaurant doing good value Americana.

Its all done really rather well.  Now, I'm starving and there is one table left to eat.  I have no jacket to mark it as mine, so rather nervously, with one eye on my spot, order my pint and meal at the bar.  I haven't been this nervous since ordering a breakfast in a Wetherspoons when the bin men had knocked off for the day.

Its also the first craft beer pub that I have been in.  Five pumps are marked simply with numbers and my staring at my lone seat meant I missed the blackboard describing their crafty wares.  In full on panic mode, I order a Bombardier Burnt Gold - a surprisingly inspired choice as it was fantastic.  Pleased that it came in a dimpled handled jug, rather than a jam jar.

Back to my table to reclaim my prize, await my tea and try and spot the Cask Marque sign for later scanning.

The Bristol Pear
You lucky people of South Birmingham
Not in Kansas now Toto
Confusion!
Good Idea
Not going to Argue with this sentiment


Once again, I have to tear myself out of a wonderful place and back to reality.  Catch the 11a back to Acocks green (max fare £2.30, finance fans) and travel in style.

Front Seat, Top Deck.

1 comment:

  1. Loving this No 11 Ale Trail - I am planning a jaunt in Feb....Despite lving in Olton for years I'd never spotted the Sarhole (ahem) anagram before!

    ReplyDelete