Wednesday 1 June 2016

01/06/16 - The Wadborough Geocaching Round

Distance - 4.5 Miles
Geocaches - 21 Found, 5 FTF, 1 DNF..... and a Chirp!
First Geocache


Now, I am not a First to Find Geocache chaser - honestly.

When I woke up this morning, I saw that a new local series had been published.  I thought I would make my way down for a spot of lunchtime caching.  Arriving at the parking GZ and seeing there were no other cars there made me wonder whether the gloomy day had put everyone off.

Make my way to GZ, unscrew the lid and.... not a chance.  I am the Buzz Aldrin of Geocaching.

2nd is right after first, yeah?

Grab a couple more and make my way through very high, very wet grass.  I can confirm that Goretex walking shoes do not work when the water is coming down your trousers and through your socks.

At number 3, after losing my tweezers (no prize for finding, future cachers), I can see the FTF man in front of me.  Catch up with F1REK at Number 4, where he is explaining the joys of our hobby to a tractor driving farmer, who was more interested than I was expecting.

We say hellos and he moves back in the opposite direction to me, completing the series as a drive bys.

Could #5 provide the joy of a blank log?  Maybe, if I can find it!

FTF on #5
Patience Paid Off - First This Year!
There's a twist in the tail of this trail.  There is a Chirp Cache (only 1 previous find of this type by your truely) and a bonus.  The Chirp works as a beacon - if your device supports it.  On arrival at GZ, it will pick up a signal and broadcast the final destination to you.  This adds a bit of spice as I make my way around on the familiar paths of the Millennium Way - nestled in the shadows of the Malvern and Bredon Hills.

Millennium Way
The Millennium Way - From Pershore to near Banbury
Views over Malvern
Malvern Hills
Views over Bredon Hill
Bredon Hills

I've not been through Wadborough before.  At #12, I can see the familiar Banks Beer sign on the side of a white building.  Unusually, the OS Map does not have the Big Blue Cup of Joy and it is simply marked PH.    Not time to investigate today, the Masons Arms will have to wait for another day.

Maybe when I come back for #16, where I catch up with F1REK again.  He has been here for 30 minutes, but never straying more than 2m from the path.  I join him for 5 before heading off.  Can't have a complete map of smileys, can we.

Progress around with no more dramas - getting to the bonus cache first.  Always love it when you plot the co-ords and it appears on a pathside.  The cache page says that there is a 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize for those that attempt the series.  I am the FTF and get to choose between Red, White or Rose.

Yay!  FTF Prize for the Bonus
A Nice Touch from the CO
Just the Chirp to find now and another clean log.... making for a most successful day.   Get back to the parking and someone else is out as well, with another car adorned with a TB decal.

Thanks Chickowee for a super round from someone who loves it Soft and Fruity.

And an extra cache to make up for the DNF.

Parking GZ and another cache!
Gribbit Indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment