Tuesday 24 May 2016

24/05/16 - Ullenhall to Henley Geocaching

Distance - 5.45 Miles
Geocaches - 27
First Cache

I've had my eye on this geocaching round since it was published around 6 weeks ago.  I had to complete the Miserden caches first - a series of 100 caches over 3 Loops down in deepest Gloucestershire.

On my 2nd visit to Miserden, there was a car parked up with a trackable in the Window.  I recorded the details and on logging my discovery, found it belonged to, dadu 13 , the owner of this loop today.

The Geocaching world is a small world.

I've not to Ullenhall before but I know the area pretty well from the Millennium Way, which I have been walking over the last couple of years.  Its no hardship to come back.

Park up outside the church, grateful I have saved this for a spring evening rather than a Sunday.

Ullenhall Church
Handsome Church in Ullenhall
Quick look at the village before heading out onto the trail proper.

Ullenhall
Nice Village Square
27 Caches are not going to be recorded in detail.  It would bore me, bore you, and leave nothing to put in the logs.  A summary is that they start off nice and easy, lulling you into a sense of security and then get a touch tougher when the clues start to disappear.  I did OK - getting 25 out of the 27 and adding a couple more outliers to bring the numbers up.

A couple of fine examples of the art of geocaching - one of which deserves a tweet - and one that made me laugh out loud.  Its not everyday you wait for the passing of traffic on a busy road to extract a test tube from a chicken's backside.

I have excuses for my fails.  #19 is called "Busy Bees".  I made my way to ground zero and the CO is true to his word.  There is a monster bees nest right there and I could see the headlines in advance if I was to anger the little varmints.  #22 seems to have been found by others using the uploaded pictures as clues.  I tried the same in the field.  I think the CO has removed the photos.

Still, happy with my work and a decent walk.

Out of Ullenhall
Views out of Ullenhall at Walnut Hill Farm
Out of Henley
Views on the way back from Henley near Builth Farm

Regular blogfans will know what normally happens at the end of one of my walks.  I had checked in advance and I knew that there was a pub in the village but that it was also closed.  A real shame, as Ullenhall looks to have lost it's social hub and a piece of history.

There are hopes for it - the last review on beer in the evening was from Feb 2015 - a reopening that didn't last for long, as it is up for sale again.  Maybe its just looking for the right owner to bring it back to life.

Winged Spur - Ullenhall
For Sale and unable to provide Mappiman with succor 

Thanks for the round dadu 13 and I'll look out for your Geowagon in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment