Saturday 26 March 2016

26/03/16 - At Odds With Julia

Distance - 6.5 Miles
Geocaches - 7
Stage 34 of the Millennium Way
Pub - Duck on the Pond, Black Sheep Holy Grail



I have some similarities with Julie Bradbury - we both look good in goretex and appeal to a certain type of man.  Yet there is one thing I fundamentally disagree with her about.

She thinks canal walking is wonderful.

I think canal walking involves alcoholic tramps, pleasure seekers boating at a pace slower than I can walk and lots and lots of dog poo.

So, it was with a certain amount of horror that I looked at my monthly leg of the Millennium Way and saw that most of it was on the Grand Union Canal.

And it's raining.

Still, I'm duty bound.  At least it starts at a pub.  The weirdly named Duck on the Pond at Long Itchington.

Duck on the Pond
Pub behind the things that named it
Past the Tudor House and down to the Canal.  Joy.

Grand Union Canal
3.5 Miles of this
Still, there are two things in the canals favour.  This is where the geocaches are - and I get 100% on the ones I hunt.

It's also providing better walking than the green lane (when was mud ever green?) called the ridgeway, which I need to follow when leaving the canal to get back to the Big Itch.

Ridgeway Path
It's getting worse - not better
The Ridgeway brings me to Snowford Lodge and a little walking alongside the River Itchen to get back to the village.

Long Itchington Church
Passing Long Itchington Church

Duck on the Pond
To Arrive at the Pub

Black Sheep Holy Grail
For Black Sheep Holy Grail
At least the walk ended on a high note.  Till April, Millennium Way.

No comments:

Post a Comment