Saturday 20 February 2016

20/02/16 - Going Backwards on the Millennium Way

Distance - 4.5 Miles
Geocaches - 4
Walk Inspiration - Stage 33 of the Millennium Way
Pub - The Red Lion, Hunningham, Belhaven Grand Slam

The months click on and its time for stage 33/44 of my monthly walk on the Millennium Way.  I am enjoying the Warwickshire Section of this Long Distance Path.  It has already taken me to 4 out of the top 10 pubs in Warwickshire and today's leg offers the chance to add the fifth.

I am starting the walk at the Red Lion, Hunningham.  The eighth best in the county.

With the route plotted beforehand, I can see that I am heading from Hunningham to Cubbington.  Cubbington is where I started Stage 31 walk and I can only assume that I am walking backwards now.

The Millennium Way does this from time to time.  It took me four months to get out of Berkswell at the start of 2015.

Still, if you like agricultural walks, Warwickshire and the Millennium Way is for you.  This is mainly fields... a short section in Woods... fields and then follow the River Leam back to the pub.

Start of the Millennium Way
Even the Signs above the Millennium Way Signs insist on telling you its Farmland
I'm not going to lie.  There's little to write home about.  Especially when sections have been a repeat.  I'll just upload a couple of photos and tell you about lunch.

Mappiman on the Millennium Way
Been Here before - Out of Cubbington Woods
The River Leam was flooded three weeks ago.  Today, the floodwaters have abated and this provides a chance for me to find a cache that was previously inaccessible.

3 Weeks Difference
What a difference three weeks go - Gate previously used as a bridge
The River Leam takes us back to the pub, with a final cache to be found before lunch.

Red Lion Hunningham - Spot the Cacher
Spot the Cacher

The Red Lion needs to be filed under Gastropub.  I say this, as the beef sandwich came with a pot of dipping gravy.  And an automatic 10% tip was added to the bill, which you could challenge, if you felt you had less than satisfactory service.

Four real ales on and in the spirit of the Rugby, I went for a Belhaven Grand Slam.

Belhaven Grand Slam at the Red Lion Hunningham
Looked much better than it tasted

No comments:

Post a Comment