Sunday 14 February 2016

13/02/16 - Vintage Trail Magazine

Distance - 14 Miles
Geocaches - 6
Walk from - Trail Magazine August 1998
Pub - The Red Lion, Leek - Hyde's Crown

There was a time when Trail magazine wasn't totally obsessed with the high mountains of the UK.  Back in the 90's there was always a couple of routes in each magazine that were challenging but not in the Lakes or Scotland.

This is one such route, from the August 1999 edition.  It starts in the market town of Leek, previously only driven through, and heads out through farmland to traverse the length of the Roaches from the far end.

Bizarrely, its starts off in a housing estate, next to a kids play area.  It doesn't take very long at all before I'm out in the countryside.

Into the Countryside
On a Path marked "Staffordshire Moorland Walks
Five geocaches are grabbed as Trail, being Trail, decides to take a diversion up a nameless hill to provide decent views of Leek.

Leek from a Nameless Hill
If there's a hill, Trail will make you climb it
The route follows the western edge of Tittesworth Reservoir, but I only really get to see this once I am on the high ground of the Roaches.  Path finding is tricky - there's plenty of options and signage is not that great.  A couple of wrong turns were taken, which is doubly frustrating when you have a GPS but were too busy admiring the views.

Roaches from Frith Bottom
Approaching the Roaches
The guide suggests that this 14 miler can be completed in 4.5 hours.  Not a chance with the muddy conditions today.  It's like walking through treacle.

But nothing quite prepares me for Frith Bottom Farm, where I wish I hadn't been so damning of treacle like conditions.

There's something not right here.  On the approach, I could see the farmer carrying a couple of pails between buildings.  He looked very old.  The path goes directly through his farmyard and I have never seen anything like it.  The entire farm was under ankle to knee deep slurry, which was 70% cow discharge and 30% mud.

How the cows were surviving, I don't know.  Most were up to their knees and fixed in position, even as I attempted to get past. One, who had presumably given up, was lying down in it.

I looked just as miserable as them, as I spent 20 minutes getting through it.  As miserable a walking experience as I have ever had.  And I include the time I lost a boot in a peat bog in that statement.

Once through, It was a case of following the escarpment on farm tracks and roads to reach Roach End.  The views meant the misery of Frith Bottom were soon forgotten.

Hen Cloud
Looking South to Hen Cloud
Looking West
Looking West
Roaches End
Terra Firma and Tittesworth Reservoir

I had a plan to stop for lunch once getting to the highest point.  The plan was to shelter behind any one of the high number of Gritstone Outcrops that litter the top.

Millstone Grit
Shelter from the Wind
It was a partially successful idea.  Despite the pleasure of a Mr Piggoty's sausage role and a turkey bap, it taught me a lesson on how very quickly you can get cold in high spaces.

I was that cold, I almost - but not quite - gave up on getting the two previously unfound caches.

The Roaches themselves offer a mile and a half of ridge walking with fantastic views in all directions and the odd local legend.

Doxey Pool
Doxey Pool - the haunted home of Jenny Greenteeth

Roaches End
End Views of the Reservoir
It's now just a question of finding my way off the ridge.  Path finding proves tricky and a number of dead ends are taken before I find a way down.

No Way Down
No Way Through
More tricky route finding once off the Roaches and making my way through Upper Holme to the Eastern edge of the reservoir.

Upper Hulme
Upper Hulme - Population - 1 Chicken
The paths return to their previously muddy condition and I would be lying if I said that I wasn't delighted to return to civilisation.

This has been one relentless walk and I am arriving back 6hrs 15 Minutes after setting off.

I just need to pick the finest hostelry in Leek.  Driving through on past visits, there was a pub called the Quiet Woman that had a fantastic looking sign.  However, it was taken over by Britain's first "Pound Pub" and now seems to have disappeared altogether.

After a couple of false starts - the White Swan has all the real ale pumps turned the wrong way and the Bird In Hand has the most bizarre country and western music blasting away - I settle on a the Red Lion.

It was a great choice.

Market Square and the Red Lion
Red Lion in Market Square
Hydes Crown
Hyde's The Crown Golden Ale - Superb


No comments:

Post a Comment