Thursday 31 December 2015

31/12/15 - NYE-MW-31

Distance - 6.5 Miles
Geocaches - 17
Walk Inspiration - Stage 31 of the Millennium Way
Pub - Kings Head Cubbington, Doombar

2015 has been the best year for caching, so its rather fitting that the final walk of the year, the monthly leg on the Millennium Way, is cache laden.

This is one of those walks which is absolutely wonderful but has little to record.

Start off in Cubbington, at the twin architectural items that every village needs - the church and the pub - sitting classically cheek by jowl.

Cubbington Church
St Mary's - Cubbington
Kings Head, Cubbington
Going to come in Handy Later

A suburban start to the walk, finding the Shakespeare's Way LDP, incongruously at this point, just an alley between houses.

Soon out into the fields, working my way through Glebe Farm.  The caches start at the Newbold Comyn Golf Course.  Cache 1 of the day a victim to Storm Frank and lying despondently on the floor.

The golf course turns into the vast expanse of Offchurch Bury Park.  Some fine trees and a steady trickle of caches more or less all the way back to the start.

Offchurch Bury Park
Offchurch Bury Park
Cache of the day is next to a little hidden bridge over the River Leam.  Everything I like about caching - leading me to a place that you wouldn't give a second thought to and a classic container big enough for a TB that I found in Tintern two days ago.

Cache of the Day
Bye Bye Bucket TB
The final cache of the day is at South Cubbington Wood.  I stop and look behind me at the landscape I have been walking.

Sometimes you don't need words and you can let the picture do the talking.

Views
It's waiting for you to discover it
1:15pm and I am back entering civilisation.  De-gaiter and change from my Meindls into my Adidas 3 stripe to enter the pub.  I needn't have worried about changing - there is a sign on the door offering overshoe protectors for muddy booted walkers.

The Kings Head is an old school boozer.  Pretty busy, but it is New Years Eve - even if the bells aren't chiming for another 11 hours.  Four real ales on.  I make a mistake and shun the local brew for an omnipresent Doom Bar.

I feel a new year's resolution coming on.  Try more local brews when out walking.

Doombar - in a Liars Cup
Served in a Liar's Cup
A fitting end to 2015, which has been probably the finest year for both walking and geocaching.

The bar has been set very high for 2016.

Happy New Year.

2 comments:

  1. A great read, thanks for doing my caches along your route (spideyvenom77)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for setting them.... I will be back for the next leg on the Millennium Way - haven't looked at the cache situation yet but I hope to find as many :-)

    ReplyDelete