Saturday 28 November 2015

28/11/15 - Top 10 Twice?

Distance - 5.5 Miles
Geocaches - 4
Walk Inspiration - Stage 30 of the Millennium Way


To think, I was looking forward to visiting Leamington Spa.

Back on the Millennium Way, I arrive at a very busy Newbold Comyn Park.  A hive of activity, full of people in every shade of lycra.

A muddy slop down to the River Leam to pick up the Grand Union Canal.

Newbold Comyn Park
River Leam
There's a few caches down by the canal but despite a poor geocaching month in November, my heart isn't in it.  I get the first and last along the stretch and don't really attempt the others.  I can concentrate on the walking.

Grim
The part of Leamington Spa the Royal's don't see

The canal leads me to where I started last month's walk on the Millennium Way.  I know there is a Morrisons on the roadside.  I know the Morrisons has a cafe.  The walk is interrupted for a Full English Breakfast.

Besides, I don't want to finish the walk too early, as there are not 1 but 2 Top 10 pubs in Warwickshire to explore at the end the route.

Breakfast consumed, I pick up the River Leam in Victoria Park, which leads me to the Town Centre.  Have a look around.  Its like Cheltenham but in need of a damn good wash.

I've only seen it from the train and I was expecting more of a town that has an Ice Cream parlour called "lickety lick".

Leamington Church
Church is Impressive.  Not sure about the corporate art.
Pump House
Leamington Pump Rooms

Once the town is explored, the route takes me through Jephson Gardens, complete with its sculptures and "sensory garden" playing strange tunes to keep me accompanied.

Oh No... I have to live in Leamington
Oh No - I'm stick in Leamington
Exit the gardens and I should have paid more attention to the GPS.  Top 10 pub 1 of the day is down some side streets and I haven't planned my route on how to get there.  A bit of backtracking is required before I get into the correct street.

It looks nice enough - but why, at 12:23pm on a Saturday Afternoon, is it plunged in darkness?

Somerville Arms
Still a going concern?
I'd done my home work.  Their web site, after promising 7 real ales, states that its open midday on the weekends.  I enquire at the corner shop as to whether its still open but get given directions to a Christmas market, so something is lost in translation.

I guess I will never know why this is number 5 pub in Warwickshire.  If it opened at lunchtime, it may threaten top spot.

Never mind, like buses, there's another one just down the road.  The Newbold Comyn Arms comes in at number 3.

Newbold Comyn Arms
Third Best in Warwickshire

The pub looks like a barn conversion from the adjacent farmhouse - which is now available for functions.  Two real ales on - both Warwickshire based.  I avoid the obvious Ubu and go for a Slaughterhouse Brewery Saddleback.

Slaughterhouse Saddleback
First Time on a Saddleback
And the day is saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment