Monday 23 November 2015

21/11/15 - The End (or Start) of the Thames Path

Distance - 17.8 Miles
Start - London Bridge
End - Erith
Geocaches - 12


A walk that got less interesting as the weather improved.

Another miserable Saturday in November sees me braving the elements to get the miles in.  I have goretexed up before many a walk but never whilst sitting in a photo booth, handily located at London Bridge Tube Station.  An ideal spot to attempt to get waterproof trousers on, out of the glare of interested Cockneys.

This is the last leg of the Time Out London Walks epic from Hampton Court to the Thames Barrier.  I have split into three day walks, and extended it from the Thames Barrier so that it links to the beginning of the London Loop at Erith.  I like to keep things tidy.

Leave London Bridge Tube station, and a shortcut brings me right out at the river.  No navigation problems today - I just keep the river on my left and keep plodding.

I know London quite well but the same old views always inspire.

Classic London View
Timeless London View on a Grim Day
There are some pretty good pubs as well, but this is a bit of a sore point for today.  I pass The Angel, The Mayflower, the Trafalgar, the Yacht, the Cutty Sark - all fine pubs, previously explored - before hitting the last riverside pub at the Hope and Anchor at 11:43am.  And they are all closed.

It's going to be a pint in Erith.  A statement designed to give any sane man the Fear.

If you are going to attempt this walk, I suggest that you really like Canary Wharf.  As the Thames Path runs in a perfect U Shape, you get to see the vista from three angles and it dominates a large part of the walk.  At least the rain stops for me to de-gortex and walk without rustling.

Canary Wharf
Have to Love Canary Wharf - you will be looking at it for a large part of this walk
Greenwich has always been a favourite part of London for me.  I skirt the edges of it, with fine views of the Cutty Sark, which can be seen from a mile off.  I am asked by a group of middle eastern men if I know where the meridian line is.  I do, I have Sat Nav, but they are looking for some sort of architectural representation.  The only advice I can give them is to come back at night when there is a laser pointing out the divide in the night sky.

Cutty Sark
Gateway to one of the Finest Suburbs of London
Don't quite get to walk around the O2 arena, as the traditional Thames Path has a short cut across the Greenwich Peninsula, made slightly more complicated than necessary by the new buildings going up.  A minor diversion and I am back on track.

02 Arena
02 Arena
Walking starts to deteriorate, as a succession of industrial workings are passed on the way to the Thames Barrier.  It's grim.

Thames Barrier
Thames Barrier - Start (and End) of the Thames Path
I could stop at the Thames Barrier but as the Thames Path has been extended, I plod on.  Take in the information through a very informative virtual geocache and then brave up to plod onto Erith.  The map is particularly spartan and there is good reason for this.

There is nothing really there.

Like this all the Way into Erith
Mainly like this, after the Thames Barrier.
But still, Erith is where I must go.  The Thames widens.  A glance behind at the 13 mile marker shows that I can still see the Shard in the distance before a turn in the river hides it from view.  Must be fantastic to enter London on a cruise ship.

Arrive at Erith and there is time for a pint before my train.  I have done my research.  The best pub in Erith is the Ship.

This is akin to saying "he was the nicest member of the Nazi Party".

No real ale but a deserved pint of Stella, which for these parts, was reassuringly inexpensive.

No Real Ale today
When no real ale is available - go posh.

No comments:

Post a Comment