Saturday 10 October 2015

09/10/15 - Yes

Walk Inspiration
Distance - 6.5 Miles
Geocaches - 8

This is the first time I have had to check if the MOD are out playing army before completing a walk.

Everything came together - I am heading down to Tavistock to meet fast pint arm Bob and see a Kate Bush tribute act.  Day booked off work, sun shining and no military manoeuvres to stop me from becoming the highest man in Devon.

Find an online route that looks just the ticket - starting off a car park next to Meldon Reservoir - complete with a proper old school dam.

Meldon Damn
GZ of Cache Number 1 of the Day
A blast up Longstone Hill, asking the cows politely if they will move out of the way and into the restricted zone, guarded by a line of red and white poles.

If there are flags on them, you are not allowed in.  There's also a sign saying that if you pick up any strange objects, there is a chance you will be blown up.

Going to put an edge on the Geocaching today.

MOD Firing Range
Danger - High Explosives
Yes Tor is soon bagged - along with a couple of caches.  The second of which takes an incredible amount of time to locate but I so didn't want to leave a cache behind at a special location.  Scrambling and frustrated hunting eventually paid off.

Highest in Devon
Approaching the highest Point in Devon and expected glorious views

Yes Tor
Yes Tor - Complete with its odd lightening conducter
Yes Tor
Another County Top ticked off
The height gained, it's a flat walk to the High Willhays - a top that really doesn't have a great deal going for it - with the exception of a few caches to grab and the fact its slightly higher than Yes Tor.

High Willhays Descent
View from High Willhays
Drop down to Black Tor - where a 73 year old man asks me if I am looking for boxes.  I didn't notice his garmin around his neck.  He's not a geocacher but a letterboxer - which I understand originated in Dartmoor.  Sod's law that this is my only DNF of the day - giving my new pensioner friend something to chuckle at as he made his ascent.

The West Okement River is the natural hand rail to lead me back to the reservoir and the car.  Its a stunning river - full of boulders, waterfalls and pools.

West Okement River
River provides easy navigation
Meldon Reservoir
Provides fine views of the Reservoir


Back at the car and I have a missed call from Bob.  He's waiting for me in the Pub in Tavistock.  No time for a post walk pint but as expected, I make up for it with a few Jail Ales to the delightful refrains of a pseudo Kate Bush.

All round good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment