Saturday 3 October 2015

03/10/15 - Bish, Bash, Bosh

Geocaches Found - 26
Geocaches Not Found - 2
Geocaches Muggled at Gz - 2
First Geocache
Distance Walked - 6.8 Miles
Pub Visited - Boot - Flyford Flavell, London Pride

Back in August, a couple of local Geocaching rounds were published.  I saved the one near Alfrick in Worcestershire until September and found it that tricky with plenty of DNF.  I wondered how long it would take me to attempt this one in Bishampton.

But this is a different kettle of fish.  In my opinion, when you lay a trail of 30 caches, you need them to be relatively easy with decent clues.  The Alfrick round had people logging hunts of up to 60 minutes.  I mean, who - apart from the recently retired - has that much time?

I don't, I need to be back for the Albion on TV at 12:45.

A misty, Autumnal start to the day means there are few photo opportunities.  Everything is grey and damp.

On arrival at the suggested parking, I realise that my planning has been particularly poor for this.  Not only have I failed to bring water with me (wondered why my geocaching pack was light), I have also failed to load the GPX into Cachemate.  I will not be relying on other people's previous logs or cache descriptions on this round.  At least I have the caches plotted.

The route takes me down footpaths with trouser damping long grass and I have no issues finding caches 1-9.  10 becomes a DNF, although I wouldn't mind another go.  I also wouldn't mind knowing what the acronym NHA on a couple of caches means.

With the DNF out the way, I can concentrate on the walking, which improves as we take on the Wychavon Way around Craycombe Coppice.  The mist even begins to lift.

Misty in Worcestershire
Wychavon Way Views
I also enjoy the extended walk through the massive orchard - even if I am the wrong side of the stream for the best cache of the day at number 16.  Bet I am not the first to have to retrace their steps.  Loved the first big box of the day and the intricate puzzle.  The TB was a bonus.

Orchard
Orchard Walking
Reasonable walking northwards to the Vale Country Club, where there is further evidence that we are approaching the end of another year.

Santa's Little Helpers
Real Reindeer Ready for Xmas
Time clicking on, the hunting is stopped by 2 dog walking cachers and another that I just cannot find.  At least I get the last of the day - which is labelled as easy.

Thanks to zargos2012  or a great cache trail on some excellent new paths for me.  Oh, and for making me climb a tree.  At 46 :-)

There's potentially 20 minutes spare before kick off, so I check out the Dolphin in Bishampton.  No idea why a pub in landlocked Worcestershire is named after a sea mammal.  And I will never find out.  It was closed up at 11:57.

Didn't look too inspiring anyway, so I head off to Flyford Flavell and a return visit to the excellent Boot Inn.  Last visited in the Millennium Way in December 2013.

The Boot - Flyford Flavell
Pub of the Year - but not this year.
Its about 12:05 and I am the first punter in, arriving at an empty bar.  I take inspiration from the art work.

True That
He certainly does
Eventually a young lady comes to serve me.  She tells me her mind is all over the place, as she is moving to Berkshire on Monday.

I reply that she must be mad to leave Worcestershire's Pub of the Year Behind.

She confirms that it's not Pub of the Year, this year.

OK - off to Berkshire it is.

London Pride
Super pint of Chiswick's Finest
Quick pint and timing is perfect.  I am in the door, just as the teams are walking on the pitch.

I seriously wish I hadn't bothered.

No comments:

Post a Comment