Saturday 19 September 2015

19/09/15 - Nervous G&T

Distance - 7 Miles
Geocaches - 9
Walk Inspiration - Stage 28 of the Millennium Way
Pint - Wye Valley Butty Bach at the Anchor Inn, Leek Wootton

A busy September means that this is the only weekend I can complete my monthly soujurn on the Millennium Way. It's good to be out walking, even if there is little to document on this, Stage 28 out of 44.
Park up at a layby where there is a "camper van" with very steamed up windows.  I am sure its a precaution too far, but the iPod is locked away in the glove box.  I've lost one this year and I want to finish off Sonic Youth's Goo on the way home.

Security arranged its out into the fields.  A warning sign tells me to keep my dog on a lead because of the high maize.

High Maize
Terrifying to Hounds
With Warwickshire golf course to my left, I head South.  The majority of the caches are along this section, which keeps my mind off the gunfire from the police training school to my right.  At least I now know what the danger signs on the OS map were referring to.

Leave the woodland onto fields at Woodloes Park.

Millennium Way
Millennium Way.  And Centenary Way.

Into the outskirts of Warwick, re-familiarising myself with the massive IBM Campus.  A pork-pie break at a BP Garage and then onto the Grand Union Canal.

Grand Union Canal
Grand Union Canal
The canal provides the next set of caches - all micros but all quite satisfying in their own way.  Must be the joy of retrieving them under muggle noses.

The walk back sums up the day really - decent bridle paths with absolutely nothing of interest to report upon - with the exception of the short repeat leg from Stage 27, where I pass the old Air Defence Base.  Not point prattling about last months experiences.

Back at the car and its a short drive into Leek Wootton and the pub.  8 chaps in identical egg shell blue suits are nervously milling around outside.  They are either auditioning for the next series of peaky blinders or attending a wedding.

The one with the largest flower and most nervous chuckle is identified as the groom.  What may be the best man returns with a tray full of Gin and Tonics.  I love man's inability to make up their own mind.  Presumably, the best man likes a G&T and everyone else blindly followed suit.

Butty Bach at Leek Wootton's Anchor Inn
With the exception of me.

Next stage on the MW looks far more interesting.  Another castle.

No comments:

Post a Comment