Wednesday 2 September 2015

02/09/15 - Cocking

Walk Inspiration - Day 4 of the South Downs Way
Distance - 12 Miles
Geocaches - 16
Start - Amberley
Finish - Cocking
Highlight - Hopefully Tea.

In preparation for the reboot of the South Downs Way, I have been reading the excellent "Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson.

Not that my 50 miles in Sussex can really compete with his 2100 mile yomp through the Appalachian mountains.  In Chapter 1, he lists the dangers.  Bear Attacks.  Snake Bites.  Murders.

I am marching onward to Winchester but I am facing death.  This Saturday, the town is hosting a conference on "how to die well".  A long walk, decent beer and a nice meal would be my automatic answer.

I have had a five train (including one that split in half at Horsham) epic journey to get here and all runs smoothly.  I'll have nothing said against British Rail.  Or London Midland, Virgin and Southern Railways.  Alight at Amberley and pick up the River Arun where I left it on day 3.

River Arun
The Gentle River Arun
Back on the South Downs Way, climbing Westburton Hill, following the old familiar markers.

Back on the SDW
South Downs Way
Now, I don't want to be disparaging about this leg of the SDW, but it fails to meet the majesty of the first three days.  The paths are similar, well waymarked and easy to follow, but Day 4 is distinctly lacking in items of interest.

And I don't just mean pubs.  There aren't really any superb views.  The path gains height, keeps height and then plods on through farmland and forest.

As expected, there are a high number of caches, but there really isn't that much to show on the blog.

Mainly, it looks like this
It mainly looks like this

After 4 fours and 12 miles. I arrive in Cocking.  Don't even find a sign to take a comedy photo.

I do, however, find three other South Down Wayers, who are going in the opposite direction but staying at the same pub as me - The Bluebell in Cocking.

I text Sonia to say that I have arrived and have ended up in complicated rounds.

She texts back to say that she hopes they are not women.

I say that they have beards.

Chez Mappiman
Chez Mappiman
Let's see what tomorrow holds.


No comments:

Post a Comment