Sunday 23 August 2015

22/08/15 - Digbeth Pub Crawl

Distance - Negligible
Geocaches - 1
Pubs - 4 - The White Swan, The Fountain, The Spotted Dog, The Anchor
Inspiration - Doghouse Magazine


The Walk from the City to Bournville proved both uninspiring and lacking refreshment.  A Quaker town is not the place to indulge in a bit of Archaeological pub ramblings, so taking inspiration from the finest magazine about pubs in the land, I ask the driver of the 61 bus to whisk me off to Digbeth.

Digbeth
In the Shadow of Selfridges
I vaguely know Digbeth from seeing indie bands at the Irish Centre in the late 80s and early 90s.

Feel a touch of 21st Century research is required, so type Digbeth into Twitter.

I click on the Photo Link.  That's one of today's pubs.

Still, that was two days ago.  Its bound to have been resolved by now.

Head down Bradford Street and see the Anchor.  The fact that "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is blaring out of what must be speakers on the outside of the pub, remind of the area's Indie credentials.  I decide to save this one for later.

So its the White Swan that the first of the Day.  A wonderful piece of red brick Victoriana, where the inside is most definitely at odds with the outside - all hand car washes and waste ground.

The White Swan
The White Swan
In an Old School Pub, it has to be an old school pint - so Banks Bitter it is.

Banks Bitter
My Heritage Indeed
The pub has one other punter - which means that we he goes to the gents, I get to take a photo of the impressive bar.

The White Swan
The Bradford Street Academy of Fine Traditional Ales
They have an advert for "Camra's Heritage Pubs" - which they are of course included.  I remind myself to buy a copy only to determine I have already done this when I get home.  More inspiration for future days out if I ever needed it.

Without doubt, the highlight of the crawl.

At the other end of the scale, but no less charming, is the Fountain.  There's a great quote in Doghouse Magazine;

The average Joe would probably stalk past the the Fountain every day of their life, glancing through the door to merely re-inforce their own conceited prejudice about the place"
Well, what would you do?

The Fountain
Dare to Enter?
Well I do.  An eclectic crowd of old men and young lads, where there is plenty of conversation and everyone, with the exception of me, is known by name.

Still, the glowing endorsement from Pauline Quirke on the wall makes me feel welcome.

Under Pauline's Watchful Gaze
Birds of a Feather
I'm instantly given a pint of Mild.  Surprised, I tell the bar man that I haven't actually ordered yet - he looks a touch confused until he finds it's rightful home.  This gives me time to look at what's on offer - and now I am a little surprised at there being no real ale.

Too sunny for a Guinness, so I experience a continental drift and go for Stella.  This, and a packet of Scampi Fries, £3.10.  Is this why there are 20 times the number of punters than in the White Swan?

Stella at the Fountain
Reassuringly Inexpensive
 Move on, taking in the views of Birmingham, to Hostage Central.

Views of the City
Birmingham
Spotted Dog
The Spotted Dog

Another fine Irish Boozer.  This on has some lovely comfy sofas and the chance of something more substantial to eat - a choice of Pork Pies or Scotch Eggs.

There are Real Ales on, but I'm getting the taste for the continent and move from Belgium to Spain.

San Miguel and Lunch at the Spotted Dog
Fit for a King
Unlike the Fountain, there is only one punter in.  He's also a talker - so when I have listened to his conspiracy theories and expert opinion on everything from the weather to the psychotic components of marijuana, I head off to the last point of call.

Fortunately, the music has been turned down in the Anchor and its a touch more sedate than earlier.

It very much is the companion to the White Swan- built in the same style, by the same people.

The Anchor
Adds a bit of symmetry to the walk
The blackboard has a bewildering array of options.  Some of the bar pumps have two clips on them, making it impossible to know what is on.

Still, I've made a discovery today and check out if Holland is as good as Spain.

Amstel at the Anchor
Amstel

No comments:

Post a Comment