Sunday 2 August 2015

01/08/15 - The Long Walk

Distance - 14.5 Miles
Geocaches - 6
Walk Inspiration - Country Walking Magazine - Feb 2015 - Walk 6
Pint - Brakspear Bitter at The Windsor Castle, Windsor


This walk would have me starting at the decidedly walking unfriendly arrivals hall at Terminal 5, Heathrow.  Having just landed from Santorini a mere 36 hours before, I have no desire to go back and plod along service roads, past airport hotels and get tripped up by the drag along suitcases of myriad tourists.

So I plot an alternative, which can take in a longer stretch of the Thames Path - looking for a suitable train station to get me near the river.

Chertsey it is.

After a mile or so of equally unfriendly walking past hand car wash emporiums and closed down pubs, the route gets going at a monument of a woman earnestly hanging onto a clanger at Chertsey Bridge.

Clanger Grabbing Lady
Clanger Grabber
Of course there is a story here.  In the War of the Roses, Neville Audley was captured and sentenced to death at the ring of the Evening Church bell.  His Lover, Blanche Heriot, stopped the bell from ringing until a messenger arrived with a pardon.

This sort of 15th Century history lesson made my Chertsey choice a sound one.  Once over the bridge, the walking improves dramatically.  I have been completing a lot of the Thames Path and from an architectural point of view, this stretch is one of the best encountered.

Chertsey Bridge
Picking up the Thames Path at Chertsey Bridge
Glorious Thames Path
Near Penton Hook
The only similarity between the houses along here is probably the price.  No two buildings are the same but I bet they cost an absolute mint.  Makes for wonderful walking with a couple of caches to hunt for along the way.

Staines - or should I say Staines Upon Thames, as it has been rebranded - comes along next.  I think of stopping off for a pint at the Swan, a former watering hole from when I have been down on business.  On tight timescales, I plod on, knowing that I can only really afford one break today.

View from Staines Bridge
The Swan from Staines Bridge
Staines rebranding has not gone as far as masking the smell from the massive sewage farm that is adjacent to the Thames, so I get a sprint on dodging under the M25 to arrive at Runnymead.

A concession to not stopping is made at an ice cream stand.  Refreshed, I am ready for the next bit of history.

The Magna Carta has been in the news in 2015, with it being the 800th year since King John signed it and declaring "Freedom under Law".  It also seems incredibly popular with Americans, many of whom are milling around the various monuments, which includes everything from brightly painted houses, to Greek style temples, to trees planted by the Queen.

Magna Carta Territory
Thames Side
Magna Carter Monument
Mainly with inscriptions from American Law Societies
Magna Carter Monument
Freedom Under Law

And we are not done with the monuments yet.  A cobbled path, keeping the Septics feet clean, leans to a corner of England that will always be American.

JFK Monument
Note that it avoids saying "Lone Assassin"
On the outskirts of Englefield Green, I take my eye of the map and end up taking the wrong footpaths around Dell Park.  Adds an unnecessary mile to the walk but brings me out at a familiar looking pub - The Sun.  Wrack my brains and remember it for having a picture of Tom Jones behind the bar, having popped in there whilst staying at the nearby hotel over 2 years ago.

This country is too small.

Don't revisit this time, as I am saving myself for the Fox and Hounds, less than a mile away.  However, on arrival, its clear a wedding party are in and the bar is three deep.  Can't afford to wait around, so head into Windsor Great Park.

Into Great Park
Into Windsor Great Park
The excellent walking through the deer park offers little indication of the stunning vista ahead.  I notice on the map that there is a Statue and decide that will be my rendezvous with the "Long Walk", which will take me into Windsor.

The map provides no indication of quite how magnificent this is.

Just Wow - George III
George III was a bit full of himelf

The Long Walk
With the 2.5 Mile Tree Lined Long Walk to Windsor Castle Ahead
I've walked all over the country and I don't think this can be beaten for man made views.  I'm unsure whether to look ahead to the Castle or behind to George on his horse.

As fine as the views are, the walk is a unremarkable plod on weary legs.  Still, a pint is sure to be coming up and for no other reason than great advertising, I enter the first suitable establishment.

Sanctuary - Windsor Castle Pub
Lets check out the "Great Real Ales"
Brakspear Bitter
After a 12 days of Mythos Lager, Brakspear is Great

Refreshed, I am back for the last yards of the Long Walk to follow the Castle around to the Station.

Getting Closer
Nearly There

Collapse onto the 3:24pm back to Waterloo feeling rather proud to be British.

No comments:

Post a Comment