Saturday 18 July 2015

18/07/15 - Bredon Hill, By Eck!

Distance - 8.14 Miles
Geocaches - 2
Walk from - Julie Royle's Worcestershire Walks
Pub and Pint - Thwaites Lancaster Bomber at the Bell, Eckington


Some argue that the best walking in Worcestershire is found on the Malvern Hills.  They are wrong. The finest walking is on Bredon Hill, where the views are even finer - mainly because the Malvern Hills are in them.

And its not as steep.  Which is another bonus.

I start my ascent from a Eckington - a previously unvisited Worcestershire village.  I like it already as google maps revealed it has two pubs.  One of which, the Bell, I make my starting point.

Or should I say finishing point.

Head off through the Churchyard and pick up countryside for one of my favourite types of path - a clear avenue through a wheat field.

Approach to Bredon
Eyes on the Prize - Bredon Hill Ahead
The ascent - like every ascent I have completed on Bredon - is easy.  There is one super steep way onto Bredon, but I only ever choose to go down that way - more on this later.

This route takes me through a deer park and past Wollas Farm, gently gaining height and taking advantage of a strategically placed bench to take photos.

Halfway Point
Half Way Point of the Ascent
In next to no time, I am emerging out the woodland for the classic vista from the Banbury Stone Viewpoint.

Bredon Hills Views
My Favourite View in Worcestershire
There's an opportunity to get a previous DNF cache on the top.  I was the first of several to record a failure a couple of years ago, when two of us attacked (or were attacked by) a particularly spiky hawthorne tree.  The cache has been replaced, so its nice to complete all the smileys available in this area.

A walk across the ramparts to find the "mountaineer's path" for my way down off the hill.

I'm not sure the picture does justice to the steepness.

Steepest Path on Bredon
Steep Way Down
When the ground levels our, I meet a couple of elderly ramblers who are making their way up.  With a certain degree of schadenfreude, I ask them if they are going to the top and if they have walked this way before.  They are and they haven't.

I can only warn them of what they are up against but they seem game enough.

Onwards I go, passing through Great Comberton and picking up a delightful path (part of the Shakespeare's Way) that takes me down to the River Avon.

Nafford Weir, another unvisited place, offers the chance to get across the Avon and the 2nd cache of the day.

Nafford Weir
Nafford Weir on the River Avon
Just a bit of countryside to go before I reach the end of the walk.  I have some fun timing my passing of a agricultural watering device that gives a short window of opportunity to get past without getting a total soaking.

Dodging Machinery
Dodging a Soaking

Eckington Bridge, a listed "ancient monument", is used to cross back over the Avon and then some road walking back into the village.

Eckington Bridge
Eckington Bridge c1720
So, just the Bell to check out.  Upmarket gastro pub with a lovely patio area - complete with a sign "No matter how tempting it seems, please do not dig or throw the stones".

I had no intention of doing either until I read the sign.

The Bell, Eckington
Quite pleased with my parking there
Thwaites Lancaster Bomber
Lancaster Bomber

Bredon Hill remains my favourite place to walk in Worcestershire and once again, I have found a new route up it.

No comments:

Post a Comment