Thursday 25 June 2015

25/06/15 - Clean Sweep to Cache 5000

Distance - 3.38 Miles
Geocaches - 17
First Geocache


The best geocaches I have found this year have been in Gloucestershire and in two separate trails created by HKMHill.

If you like Geocaching and are within, say 200 miles of Winchcombe, you really need to check them out.

I am coming up to cache 5000, so it's rather apt that I am off for his newest Cotswold Challenge in Buckland, just over the Gloucestershire border.

7 more smileys required for the next milestone number.

This is a far more sedate and easy ramble than the other trails, but with the usual hall-marks of caching genius.

Things start off at the Church, where there is parking and a relatively easy multi to find.  I say easy, the clues are easy.  There's still a bit of hunting at GZ but is there anything more satisfying than plotting the co-ords of a multi and seeing it right on your intended footpath on the OS map?

Buckland Church
Buckland Church and Clue #2 for the Multi
Whilst collecting the clues, there's even been a couple of bonus caches to the series to collect.

Out onto the walking proper and its easy footpaths leading to Laverton.  Caches 2 and 3 are found.  Travel bugs are swapped.

A 2nd multi with just the four stages carries us through Laverton and if I have done my maths correctly, the magic 5000 in total.

Laverton Library
Laverton Library

Laverton
Typical Cotswold Loveliness in Laverton
Only problem of the day presents itself as I come out of Laverton.  A group of elderly ramblers are heading off to Stanway and walking at a pace that can only be described as Tortoisian.  I can't overtake them, as they will see my nefarious activities, so I have to dawdle behind them out of view.

I am rather pleased for the long hunt at cache 7, which means I can get the rest in peace.

A minor diversion for a church micro at Stanton and then its back to Buckland, picking up the remaining 8 of the day.

Easy walking, with fine views.

Views over Bredon Hill
Views to Bredon Hill
Unusually, for any round, I make a clean sweep and come back with 100% smileys.

Thanks again  HKMHill - you are streaking further ahead in top spot of the CO that I have made the most finds.

No comments:

Post a Comment