Saturday 6 June 2015

05/06/15 - Striding out on the Ridgeway

Start - Streatley and Goring Station
End - Watlington
Distance - 15 Miles
Distance on the Ridgeway - 14 Miles
Geocaches - 17

Getting into Streatley on the last stage of the Ridgway marked a change.  From this point on, the walking changes from exposed chalk upland to river towpaths and woodland.  I also hit civilisation, meaning that I can get there on Public Transport.

For the first time since I set out in March 2014, I am able to knock off some miles in a linear walk, talking me from Goring Station to a handy village with accommodation, Watlington.

The only drama was the potential of a train strike on the day that I had booked to travel.  Hats off to ACAS for saving the day.

Depart Worcester on the 7:32 and arrive, via Oxford, at 9:50.  Street walking down to the River Thames and a couple of easy caches.

The Ridgeway

The River provides some easy walking, not that my only fellow Ridgeway walker is taking anything for granted.  I pass an elderly gent in a Sunhat (advisable), Shorts (Uhmm... not good for stingers) and four season Scarpa mountain boots.  No wonder I overtook him with ease, it was like having a drag race with Frankenstein's monster.

There's a couple of villages along the Thames that are worthy of further investigation.  Despite having near identical churches, South Stoke has the edge over its Northern brother by virtue of a rather handsome pub.

I'm coming back.

South Stoke
South Stoke
North Stoke
North Stoke
South Stoke
And the reason why the South Triumphs

10:30am is too early for a stop off and I have 15 miles to go today.  I have checked out the map and there is the lovely Big Blue Cup of Joy marked at Nuffield, around 11 miles into today's walk.  That is the motivation that I need to get a plod on.

The A413 marks the end of the Thames walking and forces me to head east, where I pick up Grimm's Ditch.  Its cache laden and nicer than it sounds.

The Ridgeway
The Start of Grimm's Ditch

Grimms Dyke
Mappiman in the Ditch
The caches break up the walking, with the highlight involving a quick tree climb.  The trees provide some relief from the afternoon sun.

The ditch steadily climbs to the escarpment, providing views back over the Oxfordshire Vale and the ever present views of Didcot Power Station.

The Ridgeway
Giant Haystacks
Thoughts turn to the my lunchtime pint and I am worried by a sign that greets me on a stile.  Yes, I am having a nice walk but surely they cannot be talking about my Crown?

P1070718
Bad News Ahead?
I don't talk them up on their offer of free tea and head on to check out the scene of devastation for myself.  It's a horrorshow.

The Ridgeway
A stolen pub sign and a knocked down goblet
It looks like my ever dwindling supply of luke warm camelbak water is all I am going to have to accompany lunch.

At least I have it in a nice place.

The Ridgeway
Lie down, look at the Red Kites above, eat Sausage Rolls
Sonia learned that I had booked a rather expensive B&B for the night, and not wanting to miss out on the complementary kit kat, has been hot footing it down to meet me.  In my car.

I get an excited text that she worked out how to get the Wonderstuff on the iPad, has parked up at the B&B and is having a drink in the pub garden.

Nice of her to share her joy.

I arrange to meet her at the first pub that greets me in Watlington, to the South of the village.  Unfortunately, I have given her the name of the pub at the far north of the village and I cannot really blame her for not checking the position of the sun.

I am just forced to walk an extra 0.5 thirsty miles to get my reward.

The Chequers, Watlington

No comments:

Post a Comment