Sunday 3 May 2015

03/05/15 - Twisted Spire

Distance - 5.83 Miles
Geocaches - 0
Walk Inspiration - Walking World


Cleobury Mortimer is known as the "Gateway to the Shropshire Hill".  So rather than stopping here, I am usually trying to navigate my way through the parked cars in the high street to get out to higher ground.

Not today, I have found a fine walk from www.walkingworld.com and also realised its time to visit the Hobsons Brewery flagship pub, the Kings Arms.

The walk starts directly under the town's famous twisted spire.

Cleobury Mortimer Church
The Inspiration for a Hobson's Brew
You've always got to like a town that has a nice central map for walkers.

Cleobury Mortimer
Geared up for Walkers
I head south, taking in some roller coaster ups and downs as I navigate the River Rea and then the disused Bewdley to Tenbury Railway.

Southern Views
And this is Cleobury Country
The walk is dominated by three impressive properties.  The first is Reaside Farm.  The name doesn't really do this Grade II 15th Century building justice.

Reaside Farm
And I get to walk up their drive
No sooner is this navigated than I stumble across Shakenhurst House again.  This is not the first time I have been here, walking along its magnificent drive on a walk from Mamble a couple of years ago.

Shakenhurst
Shakenhurst Manor
I walk away from Shakenhurst, along their drive and ultimately along lanes to Bayton.

Bayton Church
Bayton Church, looking down from above.
I don't really get a good enough view of Mawley Hall to get a decent photo.  Shame, as its possibly the most impressive with a long history concerning the Blount family.  Its now a wedding venue, so you never know, I may get an invite there one day.

The reason I don't get too close is because I am deep in bluebell woods and can't see the building for the trees.  I do get to walk around their walled gardens.

Bluebells
Bluebells
Back over the River Rea and up the hill, where the views open up.

River Rea
Views over the River Rea Valley
All that remains is to check out the pub.  The twisted spire rings 12pm as I re-enter the town, so I know that they are open.  So does everybody else, as there is quite a scrum at the bar when I get in.

King's Arms
Hobsons Home - The Kings Arms
Town Crier
And this is why they are queuing - Hobson's Town Crier
A fine walk.  If only there were some geocaches.



2 comments:

  1. Great photographs, Ian. They capture the spirit of this varied landscape very well indeed. Some are wonderfully brooding with the dramatic skies yet convey a marvellous sense of space. And that Hobson's looks good...
    Thanks for the positive comment on Walking World, by the way: glad you enjoyed the walk. – David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the walk David - www.walkingworld.com is a great resource!

    ReplyDelete