Tuesday 28 April 2015

28/04/15 - Chirpy Chirpy Beep Beep

Distance - 4.5 Miles
Geocaches - 20
First Cache

There is no point me walking in the Cotswolds again, as a Geocaching Round has shown me the most beautiful part and introduced to a new cache type - the Chirp.

These are the views you have to look forward to at Cache 5.



HKMHill, the CO, thinks of everything and directs you to a Parking Area at Stumps Cross.

Stumps Cross
Stumps Cross - Does what it says on the tin
Straightaway, you are out onto the Cotswold Way and you don't get much more glorious than that.

On our Way
Evening Sunshine
Caches 1-4 whet the appetite for the main event for me, the Chirp.  This is a beacon that emits a signal and I now its within range of a monument on the trail.  For me to receive the signal, I had to work out how to upgrade the firmware on my aging Oregon 400t GPS.  This device is only normally used abroad but it was my only unit capable of receiving the Chirp signal.

On arrival at the monument, I turn on "Chirp Receiving Mode" in the Setup and wave the device around like a 1990's salesman trying to get a signal on a Nokia 6110 north of Watford Gap.

Chirp Monument
The Chirpy Monument
After a few seconds the device beeps to indicate it's picked up the chirp and reveals the information that I need - the GPS Co-ordinates of the Cache.  Now, if only I had brought my glasses and I could see them.  Jot down a fair approximation and enter them into my UK caching device - bingo - looks good for the route.

I can concentrate on the views now.

Views
And they are damn fine
Share the paths with the sheep until arrival at Didbrook where there is a multi cache for number 11.

Didbrook Church
Didbrook Church - Pay Attention for the Multicache Clues through the village
This involves collecting information along the highstreet - along with a few micros to keep your dexterity of jotting down information and finding regulars at the same time.

As discussed, the CO thinks of everything, including a handy bench to do the maths and programme into your GPS at the last clue.

Handy Calculation Point
Handy
Co-ords look good and true enough, I make a find.  Pay careful attention future cachers - along this stretch its possible to discover a trackable if you look carefully enough.  It did make me chuckle.

Now its just a case of plodding back up the hill to the start.  It's back on the Cotswold Way, so great paths and if you're tired, just look behind at the views.

Cotswold Way on the Return
The Only Way is Cotswolds
I'm that impressed with the views and the round that I take a seat at the penultimate cache and compose a tweet to the CO.  Alas, the signal means that it doesn't actually get sent until I get back on Wi-Fi.  I think they need to replace 3G with Chirp.

All that remains to look for the bonus from the Chirp.  Delighted to make a find.

The reply to my tweet states that the next Cotswold Trail is in progress.  It's gonna have to go some to beat this one!

Thanks so much for the trail, HKMHill.

No comments:

Post a Comment