Sunday 26 April 2015

25/04/15 - Wish Fulfillment

Distance - 5.25 Miles
Geocaches - 3
Walk Inspiration - Pub Walks in Derbyshire

A fine walk ends with a visit to an historically important Inn and the fulfillment of a promise made to myself 9 years ago.

So we are off to Leeds to meet friends for a weekend of fine Yorkshire beer and meat based Spanish food served on many small plates. Worcestershire to Leeds is a long old drive, so I consult the walking books to find a suitable ramble near to the M1 to break up the journey.

For the 2nd time in a decade, I pick on Hardwick Hall.  In 2006, I stopped off and hauled my hungover frame around the grounds, stumbling on the Hardwick Inn.  Although not in the mood for food on that day, I noticed a rather impressive mixed grill and vowed to come back.  Its taken me nine years.

We park up at the inn at 10:05, calibrate sat navs and head down the road to Great Pond, where less savvy walkers pay to park.  Meeting Sonia's 1st criteria for a walk, there are toilet facilities.

Great Pond - Hardwick Hall
Great Pond - Below Hardwick Hall

Our route follows the Oak Trail, gently uphill through the Oak Trees.  If you exclude the M1, there are some fine views over the Peak District.

Cows before Hardwick Hall
Cows guard the top of the Oak Trail
On the flat, there is easy walking towards Ault Hucknell.  No relation to Mick, this is the country's smallest village with three houses and the rather impressive St John the Baptists Church.

Ault Hucknall
Easy Walking to Britains Smallest Village
Ault Hucknall Church
St John the Baptist

Great paths lead us to the bluebell carpeted Norwood Woods.  April looks like being the best time of year for this walk.  I remember it being a mud fest in December 2006.  And no Bluebells.

Fields under ominous skies
Threatened to Shower - but rain hardly materialised
Norwood Bluebells
Bluebell Norwood
Fields of Yellow
Fields of Yellow Rapeseed
Lady Spencer's walk through the woods has the added excitement of children's activity installations. Sonia make a brave attempt on the rope netting over a fallen tree but bottles it before I can take a triumphant photo of her astride it.  I claim she was scared but she claims that people were coming. And one of those walkers is noshing on an ice-cream, which is the 2nd factor for a Sonia great walk.

I buy her one from the National Trust shop before the magnificent Hardwick Hall.  Built in the late 1500s by a lady, Bess of Hardwick, whose wealth was only beaten by Queen Elizabeth.  She was that rich, that we actually get two Halls, an olden one fallen into ruin and the new one with her initials proudly displayed on the roof.

Hardwick Hall
New Hall - large Windows and "E S" shouting from the roof tops 
The Old Hall
The Old Hall

We use the exit drive from the Hall to make our way to the pub, making a couple of friends along the way.

Sheep
Friendly Sheep
Hardwick Inn Below
On the Way to the Pub

It's 12:03 on our arrival at the pub and I head inside for the menus.  The Mixed Grill is still on and I surprise my walking partner by ordering it.  Not solely because I am a greedy git but because I am fulfilling a promise made to myself.

Hardwick Inn
Waiting Patiently for it to arrive
It is delivered on a tray by a teenage girl struggling to carry it.  The contents;
  • Steak
  • Gammon
  • Pork Chop
  • Lamb Chop
  • Two Sausages
  • Liver
  • Kidneys
  • Fried Egg
  • Three mushrooms
  • Two Onion Rings
  • Home made chips
  • Salad
  • Vegetables

Its the first time ever, I have not finished a meal out.  The teenager offers me a doggie bag, but I am not sure that the Leeds Travelodge has a fridge, so politely decline.


No comments:

Post a Comment