Saturday 21 March 2015

21/03/15 - Cotswolds Caching in Winchcombe

Distance - 9 Miles
Geocaches - 25 Found, 2xDNF
First Cache

I've been looking forward to this new lengthy caching circuit in my favourite part of the world, Winchcombe, the town that welcomes walkers.

It was going to take more than a fuel spillage causing the closure of the M5 to stop me getting there. A reroute through Evesham brings me to the parking area high above the village.

The route looks superb, taking in parts of the Winchcombe and Cotswold Way.  There is information to collect around the route for a bonus and unusually for me, I am prepared to gather them - setting off with pen and paper at hand.

Too many caches to discuss but they are in great locations, with some unusual ones.  Make you wonder how many trips were required to lay the trail, as there are a few monster boxes.

Heading into sheep fields, I am instantly rewarded with great Cotswolds views.

Winchcombe
Classic Cotswolds Views
Winchcombe
Where its feeding time for the Sheep


Work my way downhill to Little Farmcote church to pick up a lane called the Saltway.  There is a cache every time a route decision needs to be made and I turn right to be rewarded with fine views of Cleeve Common.

Winchcombe
Cleeve Common Ahead

Cache 5 includes the first travel bug that I have picked up for some time.

Winchcombe
Solo Caching
Continue downhill, passing a field of very happy pigs and then Winchcombe comes into view for the first time.

Winchcombe
Over the Stile and into my favourite town

Winchcombe
A final sheep field to be navigated
Decision time coming up.  Its 11:30 and this is the closest I will get to civilisation today.  Should I stop now and visit the Plaisterers Arms for Lunch?  It's a tough call, but with only 4 miles walked and a big uphill coming up, I feel that I should press on.  If I find the bonus, I'll reward myself with a drive down.

A previously unwalked path takes me along the edge of town to Puck Pitt Lane.  The ascent starts in earnest.

Cache 15 is a multi and becomes my first DNF.  I am sure that i understood the clue but I just couldnt find a cache.  I spent a while until I was muggled by a group of lost ramblers who came barrelling down the hill.  Moved on with my tail between my legs.

The terrain increases in steepness as I make my way through the Orchard Trees.

Winchcombe
Can only assume its been Harvested

Farmcote is a pretty collection of a view farm houses and a little church, with superb views over the valley.

Winchcombe
Farmcote Church
Winchcombe
If he was a big man, did they call him Huge Hugh Hughes?
Final clues for the multi are captured on the walk across the fields.  I sit on a stile to plot them in the GPS and it looks promising, as its on a path.

Winchcombe
I can go to the pub now!
A short drive back into town and luckily find a parking spot in Vineyard Street.  Has to be one of the prettiest streets in England and there is a house for sale.  That's something to check out later.

As well as being a lovely looking street, it's just around the corner from the Plaisterer's Arms - the result of what happens if you cross an Irish and Cotswold Boozer.

Winchcombe
Annual Pilgrimage
Winchcombe
Bonus Cache Reward

As always, thanks to HKMHill for a superb round and the excuse to come back to Winchcombe.


No comments:

Post a Comment