Friday 20 February 2015

19/02/15 - Worth the Mud and Rain

Distance - 5.2 Miles
Geocaches - 5
Walk Inspiration - Stage 21 of the Millennium Way

I need to be committed to keep up my monthly sojourns on the Millennium Way.  Today, the only time I can fit it in February, the rain is lashing down and the fields have turned to gloop.

Still, there is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing - right?

This is a simple walk with a surprising amount of historical interest.  Across muddy fields, where the Millennium Way shares the Heart of England Way, which will be my next challenge.

Millennium Way
Millennium Way and Heart of England Way
After a quick cache, I know that I am approaching civilisation, as I traipse the welcome duckboards in the shadow of Berkswell Hall.  An impressive 19th Century country house that has now been converted into residential flats.  Must be a great place to live.

Berkswell Hall
Lives in a house, a very big house, in the Country
And Berkswell is a delight.  The Millennium Way visits this village on four separate walks and I am in no way disappointed.  Hopefully next time, I will discover the pub.

The path brings me through the graveyard to a beautiful church.  I don't want to bore you with a history lesson but get your head around this - An 11th Century Church, built on the site of an 8th Century Saxon Church, where the original foundations can be found in the Crypt.  In the heart of Birmingham's commuter belt, there is an 8th Century building.

This is why I will never emigrate to Australia, although the weather would offer some solace.

The people are jolly nice too.  I shelter in the porch having taken a few grey photos and a lady comes and asks about by day, introducing herself and expressing genuine interest in the Millennium Way.  She tells me of a walk that the Church Warden organised from this church to the one in Meriden.  I am likely to be retracing her steps on the next stage,

Berkswell Church
Gimme Shelter.  And Conversation
Berkswell Church
Saxon Steps to the Cross

And can you guess what else Berkswell is famous for?

Berkswell - The Well
The Stone mounted Well - presumably some Berks
I do like it when a walk delivers me to somewhere of interest that I would have never previously considered.

Onwards and back to the car through more fields.  A group of feisty bulls interrupt caching.  They are mounting each other and as much as I like my smileys, I am not prepared to be a victim of interspecies sexual assault.

A couple of interesting farm houses dating back to the 17th Century provide the break from the mud.  The first, Rams Hall, includes priest holes for hiding the Catholic clergy.

Ram of Ram Hall
The Ram of Ram Hall
Ram Hall
17th Century Farmstead - with another - Lavender Hall, Coming Up.

See you next month, Berkswell.


No comments:

Post a Comment