Sunday 25 January 2015

24/01/15 - The Edge

Distance - 13 Miles
Geocaches - 5
Walk Inspiration - Country Walking Magazine - Jan 2015

20 Hours after completing this monster, my aching legs are asking questions of my list ticking brain as to why exactly this was on my bucket list.

In execution, it kind of hurt.

But Stanage Edge was somewhere that I have been meaning to knock off for a long time.  I had even planned where in Hathersage I was going to stay and which pubs I was going to frequent.  However, when it came down to it, I set my alarm early and headed off for a day round trip.

The weather is promising - there's been some snow and the weathermen on several sites insist that there is a zero percent chance of precipitation.  Hard Shells are left at home.

Choosing the route is easy.  Country Walking Magazine have a 12.5 miler that covers the entire Edge.  If I am going to do it, I am going to do all of it.

2 hours after setting off, I am parking up just shy of the suggested parking to get a sunrise shot.

Peak District
My Playground for the day
It's on opening the car door that I am faced with how cold it is.  No panic, In an outdoor homage to Nick Kershaw, I have brought my snood.

Stanage Edge
Similarities to Jihadi John are totally accidental
I knew the walk had been well thought out, it starts at a pub.  This provides me with the inspiration to keep on, when the going gets tough.

Head down to Burbage Bridge and out into the wilds of Fox Hill and Burbage Rocks.  This is where most of the Geocaches are, so its a bit of a false start, walking wise, as I scramble up, climb in and generally look around to get a few smileys.

The landscape is suitably wild and littered with completed Millstones.  I find loads on the walk, including one that is a cache location.  The masons used to work on them in the field until the market suddenly collapsed in the mid 18th Century because French Millstones had the advantage of not turning the flour grey.  Best part of 300 years ago, the Mason just left their work in situ and they are still here to be found.  I find this incredible.  What a bleak place to have your livelihood pulled from under you by the French and their glorious white bread.

Stanage Edge
One of Many
Caches and industry appreciated, its on with the walking.  Despite the fantastic views, the five miles to Stanage End are a touch monotonous.  Loads of photos are taken but the only really variety on offer is when your foot breaks through the snow and ice and you are left to wonder whether the icy water will be sub or above boot level.

I'll let you view the superb landscapes, rather than worry about my frostbitten tootsies.

Stanage Edge
Look Carefully - A couple more Millstone down below
Stanage Edge
Stanage Edge - its goes on an on
Stanage Edge
Somehow, not as high as expected


There's only so much edging a man can take, so I am kind of relieved when I get to the end and drop down.  The walk back takes me under the egde at first and then through some glorious farm land.

You can see from the photos that the sky is not quite as clear as the weathermen predicted.  And true enough, I am faced with a mercifully brief blizzard that stings my eyes and questions my sanity.  I share my thoughts with a passing Swede who tells me "don't worry, it will soon stop".

And she is right.  And the Millstones tell me that all is good in the world.

Stanage Edge
Don't Worry, Be Happy
I really enjoy the walk back through the ancient field systems and farmland.  The views behind show off the Edge even better than the views from above and the sun comes out.

Stanage Edge
I was one of those dots on there a couple of hours before
Stanage Edge
The Edge

With slight misfortune for my weary legs, it all seems to be uphill as I make my way through Mitchell Field.  Its slow going.  All I can do is keep myself motivated by hoping they have one of my many favourite ales on at the Fox House Inn.

Stanage Edge
Mitchell Field and the Peak District
Hathersage Moor is a mess of indistinct footpaths, so I am pleased to get out the otherside at Toad's Mouth and meet the civilisation of multiple dog walkers.  The end must be nigh.

Stanage Edge
Never has a pub looked more beautiful
Stanage Edge
My Reward - 2nd Favourite Ale - Black Sheep

Two sips of my Black Sheep and a warm in front of their fire and I am feeling human again.



No comments:

Post a Comment