Saturday 27 December 2014

27/12/14 - The Letcombe Letdown

Distance - 11.5 Miles
Distance on Ridgeway - 5.1 Miles
Inspiration - Self Created for Stage 7 of the Ridgeway
Geocaches - 5 Found, 2xDNF
2014 has been the year of the Ridgeway.  In March, I made a start of a series of Circular Walks to get me from Wiltshire to Buckinghamshire on this most ancient of walkways.  This is Stage 7.  I am making progress and enjoying the walking.

As I get further along, its taking me longer to drive.  Today was 90 minutes, turning off at Ashbury Hill to drive in the shadow of the Uffington White Horse.  I caught sight of one leg.

Park up at Sparsholt Firs.  Glorious Day and a good job it wasn't 24 Hours earlier by the looks of the puddles.

Ridgeway
Icy Puddles at Sparsholt Firs
I know what to expect and the path has no need to make apologies for repetition of such stunning views.

Ridgeway
More of the Same Please
A good couple of miles unbroken walking before a pause for the first geocaches of the day.  This stretch is not quite as laden.  The archaeological highlight of the walk is Segsbury Hillfort but there really isnt much to see at ground level.  It looks more impressive on the OS Map.

After 5 glorious miles, its time to say goodbye for 2014 to the Ridgeway.  I turn off, heading downhill at Middlehill Down.  I'll be back in 2015 to resume from here.  Get the best views so far of the Didcot Power Plant.

Ridgeway - Didcot Power Station
Didcot Power Plant
Ridgeway
The Drop Down from the Ridgeway
Navigate my way around some more horse training tracks and head back west along a green lane towards Furzewick Farm.

Now, if you told me that when I set off this morning, I would see a man in a Deerstalker hat, I would have called you a liar.  Imagine my surprise when I saw two?

Ridgeway
Did they phone each other up and ask what they are wearing for today's walk?
They are either massive Sherlock Holmes Fans or there is a 2 for 1 sale in a Gentlemen's Country Outfitters in Swindon.  Whichever way, after I exchanged my hellos, I heard one ask his female partner "if he looked daft in his new hat."

Now, I know quite a lot about daft hats.  But I kept my opinions to myself.

After a bit of road walking, my mind, as always in these situations, turns to refreshments.  I am coming into the village of Letcombe Regis.  What will I be rewarded with?

Ridgeway - Letcombe Regis
Cyrille's less famous Brother

Pub - Dead
I have found what I'm looking for.
It's 11:45am and not open.  I spend the 15 minutes I have fruitlessly looking for a geocache at the village pump and admiring the ancient buildings - whilst simultaneously tutting at the overbearing and totally out of place new builds.

Ridgeway - Old House
The Old House
Ridgeway - Old House
Told You
Ridgeway
Better than your average Netto
Ridgeway
Dead Centre of Letcombe Regis

Head back to the pub.  It's 12:10pm.  The curtains are still drawn.  A lady comes past on her horse and I enquire about my very important pint.  With regret, she informs me that the pub has been closed for a couple of years.

I am aghast.  I ask if I can come back for a drink at her stables.  She engages her mount in what I am guessing is a "fast canter".

I am left thirsty and tired and can only contemplate where the new build executives are going to go for a Tuesday night quiz.

What a let down.  I don't know if this affects my mood but I pass a Deer Reserve with No Deer in it, it starts to sleet and I have a 1 mile pull uphill back to the car.

Ridgeway
Geowagon in the Shadow of the Pylon
Lutcombe Regis....You had so much going for you three years ago.


ww w

No comments:

Post a Comment