Sunday 14 September 2014

14/09/14 - TeePee

Walk Inspiration - Stage 16 on Millennium Way
Distance - 7.5 Miles
Geocaches - 3

Seems like a good day to do my monthly leg on the Millennium Way.  Weather is good for walking, in that in between place where you don't know if a fleece is required or not.

Head off to the Henley exit of the M40, never having turned left towards Hockley Heath before.  This is millionaire's row.  I have not seen such a gauche collection of houses since walking in Alderley Edge.

Park up at the Boot Inn, Lapworth - it looks promising and pick up the Stratford canal at the rear.

Stratford Canal
Not any canal, the Stratford Canal
I am not normally a massive fan of Canal Walking.  Usually they are full of tramps, empty cans and discarded shopping trolleys.  But this stretch is really rather special, as I make my way uphill through a series of locks.  Say hello to the owners of "Kinver", a narrowboat making its way through the locks.  Mr Kinver is doing all the precision work, steering, whilst Mrs Kinver is womanning the locks with her hand crank.

Really quite sad to say my goodbyes to the waterway, but I do with a micro cache at Lapworth Cricket Club followed by a gentle drop through fields towards the drone of the M42.

Over
Over
The next cache makes me laugh, presenting me with the problem of where to sign the log.  Keep heading through fields before picking up some cycle infested lanes.

The Mappster in Tapster
The Mappster in Tapster
Walking is going fine, as I pick up the green lanes that we took on Stage 15.  The harvest has been collected.

British Countryside
Beautiful British Countryside
Start to head back, walking with Bush Wood to my right and expanses of farmland to my left.  The hum of the M42 increases in volume and pick the canal back up.

Under
Under
By the time I reach the Basin at the Grand Union Junction, I see my old friends on the Kinver again.  This is why you will never catch me on a Narrowboat holiday.  In the time I have walked 6 miles, they have covered just a half.

I have to say something about their slow progress.  Mr Kinver cheerfully agrees with my analysis of their progress.  Mrs Kinver scowls a bit and cranks her handle with increased fury.

This way to the Grand Union
Happy Holidays aboard the Kinver
Pleased to back along the canal and take a small diversion for the last of the caches.  I know the pub is close.  I didn't know how good the pub was.

Should have registered this domain name
The Domain Name I should have Registered
All Pubs Should have One
Available for Parties
Reward
All the way from Cornwall

A new experience - drinking in a TeePee.  It came with a firepit, some lovely sofas and blankets for when it gets cold.

A memorable end to an excellent leg of the Millennium Way.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment