Saturday 30 August 2014

30/08/14 - How much are Taxis in Hertfordshire?

Distance - 12.5 Miles
Geocaches 6
Start - Moor Park Underground
Finish - Elstree

My overriding memory of Stage 10 of the London Loop will be woodland, posh houses and the thwack of golf balls. A pleasant enough walk, but a walk lacking in items of interest, views and most importantly, pubs.

Firstly, eagle eyed blogfans will notice that this is my 2nd, once a month visit to the London Loop in August.  I could argue that this is because there are five weekends in August 2014, but the reality is that I simply don't have any free weekends left in September.

Next week's blog is taking a different tack - a Kate Bush live review.

But how to get back down to Moor Park Underground, when once again, the Metropolitan line is not functioning.  I work out a convoluted route on public transport that involves 2 trains, a bus and a tube.  Then I look on Google Maps and work out its only 4.5 miles from Watford Junction.

I will treat myself and avoid the complexity of the original plan.

Despite having a ticket to Bushey, I mange to escape out through the barriers at Watford Junction and into the delights of a manky toyota with stained seats.

The driver is friendly and on hearing my adventures asks if I am in a competition.  Only with myself, I reply.  He then distracts me from the fact that he doesn't seem to have a meter by telling me that legally he doesn't need to wear a seat belt because he is driving a hackney carriage and you can't put seat belts on horses.

This gem of knowledge costs me £12.60.  For an 11 minute journey.

I am possibly in the wrong job.

But at least I am here.  What to say about the walking? Woodland and Golf courses to start before I am delivered to the road into the Private Housing Estate that I spied from the back of ancient Toyota.

Posh, yet strange housing estate
Private Estate
Oxhey Woods and the first couple of caches of the day, before emerging into the fields around the rather nice Pinnerwood Farm.  Whilst taking photos of our national sporting arena in the distance, I get overtaken by another couple of loopers.

Fellow Loopers
Loopers Ahead - how did they get here?
Wembley
Unexpected views of Wembley.  After Albion's performance today, the closest I will get.
A couple more caches near and over the railway line and more golf courses before arriving at Grimm's Ditch.  This is the most interesting artefact on route.  A mound of earth that stretches from Harrow Weald to Bushey Heath.  There is an impressive house (now a hotel) that used to be owned by Gilbert, of Opera Fame.

Grimms Ditch
Cache at the Dyke.  And the most amateur signage on the Loop.
I say hello to the cows within Bentley Priory and go off piste for a couple of caches.  One is completely out in the open.

Nice Easy Find
Hid, Better than found.

10.5 miles into the walk and you know what my mind has been thinking of for at least the last 4 miles.  And then it comes into view - an oasis offering the weary traveller sustenance.

At Last, A pub
Guess What - I've been here before.  Evening meal when on a training course
Classic
Needed
As tempting as it seems, I cannot stay all day.  I just need to circumvent Aldenham Resevoir and cross a few fields and I will be in Elstree for my train back to the City.

Aldenham Resevoir
Reservoir

Fields to Elstree
Fields to Elstree
Finish
End of the Line - Back in October 2014
 

No comments:

Post a Comment