Saturday 23 August 2014

23/08/14 - Hounds, Ghosts, Pop Music

Distance - 11.3 Miles
Geocaches - 100%.  Or Both of them.
Walk from - Country Walking Magazine - May 2001

This promised to be and probably will be Walk of the Year 2014.  Hergest Ridge is a hill to the west of Kington.  Kington has a Herefordshire Top 10 County Pub.  And plenty of ghostly tales.

Hergest Ridge the Musical
The first I had heard of this place was the follow up album to Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield.  I have never listened to either albums but I know of its popularity, with the artist one of the few to knock himself of the number 1 spot in the charts.  So I download a copy of Hergest Ridge to get me in the mood.  This is not a pop music blog but thank god that punk came along and killed off artists that could have entire albums that comprise of two 18 minute songs.

I'll see if I can squeeze in another pop reference before the end of the blog.

Parking at the Pub
The walk is a classic from Julie in Country Walking magazine.  I extend it so that I can start off my walk parking outside my chosen pub - Ye Olde Tavern.  I was only reading about this in Doghouse magazine two weeks ago.  It will be my post walk refreshment today.

Top 10 Country Pub
See you at opening time
Black Vaughan and Ella the Terrible
Leaving the pub behind, I pick up the Mortimer Way that runs behind the houses, parallel with the main street.  I want to save the town till my return.  Eventually, I am delivered at St Mary's Church - up on the hill.

St Mary's Church
St Mary's
This is the scene of my first ghost story - containing the tomb of Black Vaughan - killed at the Battle of Banbury - 1420 and known to haunt the town.  And his wife, Ellla the Terrible - who dressed as a man to take part in an Archery competition to shoot the man who killed her brother.

I had googled this before heading to town and really wanted to this the impressive alabaster tomb.  Unfortunately, the doors were locked.  But fear not blog fans, for I have lifted a photo from tinternet.

BlackVaughan and Ella the Terrible
Our tomb will be for Pasty Mappiman and Sonia the Holidaypiner 
Hergest Ridge - The Place
Leave the churchyard and head up the road, steadily climbing until it delivers me to the hillside.  Cache 1 of the day at the entrance - a nice little hide.  Then out into the countryside for some superb walking.  A broad path on Offa's Dyke - with extensive views in all directions.  Just me, the sheep and some wild ponies for company.

Soon, I spy a collection of Monkey puzzle trees - totally at odds with their surroundings - and a bench to breakfast like a king on malt loaf.

Monkey Tree Breakfast Spot
A Spot for Breakfast
Breakfast Selfie
Monkey Puzzle Selfie
Move on from here to the trig point where there is the 2nd and last cache of the day.

More addictive than crack
Disagree - its rather addictive
The walking continues to be superb.  There are no end of photos that I could use but I'll leave you with this one of the gang.

Hergest Ridge Views
Mappiman's Mates
Black Dog
The walk takes me along the ridge and then down to Gladestry.  I miss the village and turn back on myself to climb half back up the hill until I drop down to Lower Hergest.  Its here where I meet the location of the second ghost story.  This one concerns a big black dog roaming the countryside near Hergest Court.  Sound familiar?  There are many that think that Conan Doyle based his "hounds of the baskervilles" story on this legend.

Hergest Manor
Hergest Court - Home of the Hound of Hell Story
Back on the flat, I head through some wonderful wheat fields and along the river Arrow to make my way back to town.

Fields of Gold
Through Golden Fields
The Museum
I love a walk that brings me back to a town.  I feel like a returning hero.  I emerge at the Cricket Ground.

Arriving back in Town
Civilisation

Bunting for Mappiman
And the Bunting is Out for Mappiman's Return
Check the clock and its 11:45am.  Slightly too early for the pub but will Kington offer alternative entertainment.

How about a Museum?  There's one and the entry price is spot on.  FOC.

After checking out some elephant bones (a circus came to town and the Elephant died) I move to the pop music section.

The Music
Mike Oldfied and Hergest Ridge
Ellie Goulding
She lived here - Nice photo on the wall.
Less popular musicians
No idea - but you could buy one of their T-Shirts
It's now 11:48.  Pub should be open by the time I make it back.

Top 10 County Pub
Ye Olde Tavern - number 5 in the Top 10 for Herefordshire - has won Camra awards for its unspoiled interior.  I enter and go to the right.  All the punters, indicating that its been open for a while, are on the left.  Still, gives me an uninterrupted view of the award winning lounge.

Interior
In olden times, Health and Safety didn't care where you played darts
In the proper lounge and a choice of 4 real ales.  I go for the Otter.  A good choice.

Otter
My Golden Otter
Pub Selfie
Outdoor Pint Selfiie

No comments:

Post a Comment