Sunday 17 August 2014

17/08/14 - Cache Trail

Distance - 6 Miles
Geocaches Found - 28
Geocaches Not Found - 4
First Cache First time in a long time that I have been on a caching only walk.  But a local trail of 30 caches could not be ignored for long.

As expected, other hunters are out in force.

Will we meet?
I think I need one of these
Unusually, I have sat nav problems.  It takes an age to get a signal - ironically, whilst I am hanging around at Cache 1 GZ.  It then tells me on I am on the opposite side of the A448.

This is going to make searching for micros tough.

Make my way to Cache 2 GZ with little optimism but the views do put a smile on my face.  If the worst happens, I can always just enjoy the walk on some previously unexplored paths.

Unexpected Views
My weekly dose of Worcestershire Countryside
GPS settles down and I make a find at number 2.  I am in the game.

Paths are not the easiest to find but I know from the OS map I need to walk past a Trig Point.

Trig
Trigger
Cache 3 is a work of caching Art.  Loved it.  Cache 4 becomes my first DNF.  Don't mind.  I am a solo cacher today, so it was unlikely to be a clean sweep.

Pick up a great path that takes me to Timberhonger - a place that sounds like it should be in deepest Africa, rather than Worcestershire.  I cache under the nose of the farmer cutting a swathe through the Golden fields with his combine.

Golden Glow
A rather beautiful scene of another DNF
Small amount of road walking where an elderly couple with a map come from another direction.  I don't think they were cachers - but they did stop for lunch pretty close to a GZ.  I got the cache from under their noses.

Into Cobbler's Coppice for a tree climb - thankfully my walking companions don't find me mid cache - and then out into sheep fields where the peace and tranquility is somewhat ruined by the scramblers going around and around the small hill.  They need to get a proper hobby.

Through Foxwalks Farm and back into the wheat fields for my favourite type of path.

Great Paths
Love It
Finally, at Cache 27, I meet up with a family of three paying rather too much attention to a road sign.  After establishing they are fellow cachers (what else could they be?) we make the find.  I warn them of the trickiness that they will find on the rest of the route - they tell me that the next three are all bigger than this one.

Cache 30 and the CO rewards us with the stunning views of where we have been walking.

Penultimate Cache
Stunning
And with the Sat Nav fully operational - I get Cache 1 before getting to the car.

Not only a wonderful set of caches, a superb walk in its own right.  Thanks to the CO - Spunky Spider - for the smileys.

No comments:

Post a Comment