Saturday 2 August 2014

02/08/14 - Rail Replacement and Other Ills

Walk Inspiration - Stage 9 of the London Loop
Start - Uxbridge
Finish - Moor Park
Distance - 11 Miles
Geocaches - 12

The good intel is that I knew that this was the only weekend in August that the West Coast Main line was operating.  It had to be this weekend.

The bad intel is that I have been to London 4 times in the last two weeks (£680 worth of Standard Class tickets, as opposed to my paltry £15 for today's trip.  On the same train).  Another visit to London feels like a day at work.

Fast Pint Arm Bob is also back in town.  And there was another party for a 16 year old family friend that I could have attended.  I turned down a two centre drinkathon to get up at 5:45am.

Rain was predicted.

And to top it all, the Metropolitan Line to Uxbridge is also having Rail Replacement Services.  It's well documented how confusing I find buses.

The tickets are paid for, so its off I go.  Enough of this griping.

And to be fair, it all works out fine.  The Central Line whisked me to West Ruislip, where the U1 bus took 15 minutes to get me to my destination.  And the rain held off.

A casual observer might think this is just another pub shot.

Histroric Pub
History Today
Thanks to my guidebook, I know this is an old Coaching House that was used by Charles I to negotiate with Parliamentary forces for 20 days in 1645.  Thanks to Wikipedia, I know that the original wood paneling was purchased and installed in the Empire State Building.  Before being gifted back for Elizabeth II Coronation.

Only in London.

I pick up the canal for a cache laden walk along it.

Canal
Canal Dreams
There are many micro caches at the minimum distance that geocaching rules allow them to be placed.  I don't attempt all of them, as I am on a strict timeline and can't spend minutes ferreting around in bushes.

The map is interesting to look at, with swathes of blue water.  At one stage, the towpath has is a delicately thin line, with the canal to the left and the expanse of Denham Quarry to the other.

Denham Quarry
Denham Quarry
The London Loop takes me around Denham Marina, where there is an ominous sign of things to come.

Say No to HS2
Just What is the Point
I travel to Birmingham from London all the time.  Is it worth the disruption to the countryside and people's lives plus the billions of pounds to whisk me back to Birmingham 20 minutes quicker?  Considering I slept all the way back today, I would say no.

My thoughts of taking to the streets with placards are only disrupted by the local wildlife.

Local Wildlife
Only an Arm remains
After four miles of Canals, I say my goodbyes.  At a pub.  As stated, the timetable doesn't allow multiple pub stops, so I walk on by.

End of the Canal
End of the Canals for the London Loop?
The walking gets interesting.  For the first time in a long time on the Loop, I am in real countryside.  With farms and cows and stiles and stuff.

The is London (Part 1)
This is London
I am now 8 miles into the walk and its time for a pint.  Rose and Crown, Rickmansworth, will suffice.

Enter
What joys do they provide for my £4.60?

Hot Weather, Italian Lager
Italian Lager in Ceremonial Glasses
The farmland gives way to the wilds of Bishop's Woods.

This is London (Part 2)
Still in London
The path leads to Northwood.  Another pub initially looks worthy of inspection.

Nice looking pub
Flint walled Pub.  Enticing Red Door
With Entertainment
With Lapdancers.  Ramblers just need to remove their boots
Alas, I cannot spare the time to investigate what is presumably the only Strip Joint for people with shoes as dirty as their minds.

The loop takes me through a private estate and then what must be a unique approach to a London tube station, as I find it on exiting more woods.

Unusual Tube Approach
I will be back 20/9/14 - Engineering Works Permitting

No comments:

Post a Comment