Saturday 12 July 2014

12/07/14 - Words I have waited 20 years to hear

Distance - 11.7 Miles
Geocaches - 8 - Not bad from a muggletastic stretch
Walk Inspiration - Stage 8 of the London Loop
Start - Hatton Cross
Finish - Uxbridge


This stage of the London Loop - Stage 8 - has managed to do exactly the same as the corresponding stage of the Capital Ring.  The endless canals have bored me.

Still, the pre-planning excitement was all there.  Apparel was laid out last night - including my rescued hat blogfans.  I had everything except my anti-chaffing pants, which were sorely missed on a near 12miler in 21 degree heat.  I won't be making that mistake again.

I am down early and need to get the walk done.  I have a rendezvous with my daughter at the Doric Arch at 3pm.  How nice to be phoned up and asked to go for a drink.

So, down to Green Park via Euston and admire the pranks that TFL are playing on the tourist.  All the Piccadilly trains labelled "Uxbridge" are going to "Heathrow" and vice-versa.  I need to the Heathrow one to get to Hatton Cross.  I try and help out my suitcase carrying travellers but they just don't get how a train can be labelled incorrectly.

I know I am in the right place as soon as I come up the stairs at the station.

Da Plane - Da Plane
The roar of landing planes starts us on our way
Road walking is mercifully short, as I head past the hangers and car parks and enter Crane Valley Park.

Into the Wilderness
Relative Peace and Quiet
This short stretch of country ideal brings me to Cranford.  This is place that I know relatively well, having stayed down at one of it's hotels when working at Marks and Spencer.  It had nothing to excite the mid week business traveler and little to offer the weekend adventurer.

Even Cranford Country Park is dull.  And endless vista of knee length golden grass bringing me to the only architectural highlight of Cranford Church.

Cranford Church
Look at that Shoddy Extension - C15th Flint with a Brick Lid
Under the M4, follow the Hillingdon Trail and then try and work out how to drop down to the canal.  Looks like the London Loop has been diverted from my map to go along the A312 and down a seemingly never ending set of ramps.

I've really gone off Canal Walking.  I spent most of this walk completing a survey in my head on what the most popular lager is by adding up the discarded cans.  Heineken put in a brave effort, but Tyskie - you are the tramp juice of choice.

Not much to look at either.

Canals
Next Week's Blog - The Lake District
On the plus side, there is a high number of caches.  After making a mess of #1 and recording a DNF, I get into my groove and get most of the rest - apart from where there were too many muggles.  One was even big enough for me to get a couple of TB's in.

We leave the canal at Stockley Park for the London Loop to show me my old Marks and Spencer office.  I never noticed there was a decent path through a golf course whilst there.  Should have paid more attention.

This drops me out at a wasteland of identikit office blocks and business units, before picking the canal back up.

Pub number 1 on route
With one pub, not yet open, to offer respite
Plod along the canal, with just the ding of the bells of over-aged mountain bikers to keep me company.  I found one thing to admire.

My favourite Boat
Complete with a sign saying it had broken down
I think I am saying goodbye to the Grand Union Canal as enter the wetlands of Colne Valley.  But no, my left turn is along another Spur.

By Canal - till next time
More Canals
Once finally leaving the Colne Valley, the walking improves. The OS Map is lit up blue with a bewildering array of different sized lakes and the River Colne itself.

River Colne
Use the Map to find your way through
I ran out of water many miles ago and despite the shade that the Colne Valley offers, its getting hotter.  Relief is provided at the General Elliott - a canalside pub (yes, I am back on the Grand Union) with plenty of outdoor seating.  My drink was done in two massive gulps and I was there for all of 5 minutes.  Hence the lack of photos.

Hit Uxbridge and the Tube Station.  Metropolitan trains, how I love your Air Conditioning.  I am on course to meet with Ellie at the allotted time and true enough, I get a call as I am changing trains at Baker Street.

The conversation is music to my ears - going something like this;

"Hi Dad, I'm nearly at the pub"
"I'll be there in 10 minutes"
"Ok - would you like me to get you a pint?"

This throws me into a flap.  Could it be the day has arrived when one of my children buy me a drink?  We are entering uncharted, but welcome territory here BlogFans.  I can hardly get my words out.

"Thanks, I'll have a pint of ESB please"

The two stops from Baker Street is too long... I race out the platform, across Euston concourse and delightedly see my daughter sat at my favourite table.

But something is amiss.... there is only one glass on the table.

"Sorry Dad - they have run out of ESB and I didn't know what else to get you".

Coins found from within my rucksack and as I order my London Pride, I reflect.  Its just been that sort of day.

1 comment:

  1. My daughter (blogonym High Horse) has been known to buy me a pint, but more frequently I hear two utterances:

    "Let me do that Dad"

    and:

    "I think you'll find it better if you do it my way".

    I got nine our of ten on my sortie last Thursday including two tree climbs.

    ReplyDelete