Saturday 5 July 2014

05/07/14 - Mappiman - Where's your Trousers?

Distance - 7.3 Miles
Caches - 6
Walk From - Walk Britain, Great Views

Clifton at EveryTrail

My walking ideas are plentiful.  The only constraint is time.  Last year, I watched the History of the Britains on Sky Atlantic and this gave the inspiration for a series of walks that have taken in Norman Architecture, Trees where Royals hid and a "madame's house".  I got the the episode where there discussed the great Victorian Engineers and planned to do a walk that took in Brunel's Suspension Bridge in Bristol.  It's taken me about a year to get around to it.

The good news is that now I have walked it, I can knock off another two episodes from the Planner.  Sonia and Alex cannot wait for the next episode.

The drive down is in bad rain but BBC weather have promised that it will be gone by 9am.  They are more or less right, although I start the walk in light drizzle until the sun comes out for a glorious day.

Park up at the Observatory, from where, you can observe the Bridge.  The highlight of the walk is done before I have even got going.

Brunel's Bridge
Brunel's 19th Century Bridge
Observatory
The Observatory
I read up on the Observatory - you can go in and drop down to caves, which presumably bring you out to the yellow viewing platform on the top photo.  I was in half a mind to do this, but the place is up for sale and it looked shut.

I made do with finding the two caches in the park before crossing the Bridge.  Strangely reminiscent of crossing the Brooklyn Bridge on last week's holidays.

Long Way Down
Sign on entrance to Bridge
The guide book instructions have me crossing over and the walking to a viewpoint within Leigh Woods for another perspective of the Bridge.  It would have been better without the trees in the way.

View from the Other Side
The Bridge from Leigh Woods
The route shows that I need to retrace my steps to find a way down to the Avon.  There is a faint path dropping straight down the cliff face, so in the spirit of adventure - and shaving off 3/4 of a mile, I drop down.  Harder than it looked after the rain, but I safely make to the bottom and walk under the bridge.

The route is taking me into the city, viewing its industrial past and tourist present.  Stop to take a photo of the bridge behind, after grabbing a smiley from a decidedly less impressive bridge back over the Avon.

Mappiman - with his strides
Notice the Sartorial Elegance of Mappiman, Blogfans
Crossing over, I am in a bleak industrial landscape - old warehouses, deserted railway lines and a fine footpath along the Avon.  I plod on, getting into the walking without the distraction of photos and caches.

Avon Walking
Industrial Walking - and maybe the odd photo
I should have paid attention to the route description, as if I wanted to see SS Great Britain - and who wouldn't want to see the one time fasted vessel across the Atlantic - then I need to cross over the railway line via a footbridge.  I only realise this when I see the sign for the ship.  The bridge is 1/4 mile behind me.... do I really want an extra 15 minutes unnecessary walking?

Using the spirit of how I got out of Leigh Woods, I realise that the first four foot spikey fence can be climbed over by using a strategically placed signpost.   But how to get over the 6ft spikey fence on the other side? Going to be a problem until I notice a gap where someone has bent the bars - just wide enough for a 45 year old cacher who has spent 11 days eating in America to squeeze through.

I go for it.

I am up on the first fence - feet positioned between spikes to avoid screaming like Alan Partridge, I leap to the track below.

Disaster - Left trouser leg has got caught on the spike and there is a loud tearing noise, which leaves one half of my strides waving like a flag from a pole and me in a heap on the floor.

Fortunately, I have zip off trousers - so I can make the right leg look like the left leg.  I plod on as though I meant to come out like this.

Post Fence Disaster
Slightly less stylish, but it could have been a whole lot worse
Get back to my walking.  There is just too much to enjoy.  This part of the river walking is a pleasure - with boats of all sizes and a steam engine (presumably going to run over my trouser remains) shunting people around.  Far too many photos are taken.

Views by the River
This one being my favourite
Once on the other side of the river, I have the cathedral and Cabot Tower to photograph.

Catherdral
I do like a nice Cathedral
Cabot Tower
With a Puff and a Pant to the cache at Cabot Tower
I like this book.  At the end of the route description it has advice for refreshments and says that "Beer Lovers should not miss the opportunity to visit the Bag O'Nails pub".

I never ignore the instructions in a guide book.  Unless they are pedantic about using bridges, rather than leaping fences.

Find the pub and admire the sign in the window.

Bag O' Nails
I am allowed in - I am an idiot alone
Small problem in that it is not open - and a quick text home reveals its a Midday opener.  I have 13 minutes to hang around before the landlord opens the door, inviting the magic to begin.

I am the only punter and the landlord is tidying up and getting the chairs down.  He recommends a fine pint of Dark Star and leaves me to be entertained by his cats and the additional rules written on the post inside the pub.

Pint with Stufa
Stufa the Cat
My Gaff, My Rules
My Gaff - My Rules - Including comprehensive instructions not to change a record until it has played out.
The conversation between me and Stufa wains a touch, so I look through the photos.   Here's a quiz for you blogfans - notice what is different between the pre-tumble and post-tumble Mappiman?

Yes - my Titfer has gone missing.  I even touch my head to see if it is there - nope, just my lush babyhair.  I wouldn't mind, but this is a very expensive three mode walking hat, including detachable neck screening barrier and I don't want to lose it.  I can only surmise that it went during the spill.

I drink up rather quickly and head out to see if there is a nearby bridge.

SS Great Britain from the other side
No Bridge - but fine views of SS Great Britain
Head back for the car - walking uphill through streets that remind me at various points of the seaside (hilly) Tobermoray (differently painted houses) and Edinburgh (layout of the streets).  Get to the car and plot a course to tumbledown.

Tune in next week to see what I am wearing on my bonce.

No comments:

Post a Comment