Saturday 14 June 2014

14/06/14 - Dognapper

Walk Inspiration
Distance - 8 Miles
Geocaches - 11 Found, 1 DNF


Monthly time on the Millennium Way.  As it's number 42, it's a lengthy one.  That rules out the Geohound. It's the peak of hay-fever season.  That rules out the Geowife.

I am a man alone on the Millennium Way.

Park up in a dodgy looking, but recommended, free car park.  I have spied my choice of post walk pleasure - as there is the Warwickshire Camra pub of the year on the outskirts of town.  Will hit that later.

Off and running through a housing estate but soon out along the River Arrow towards the church.

River Arrow and Studley Church
Complete with a Church Micro for Cache 1 of the day
Through the cemetery and out into more countryside.  There are five more caches along the way.  I find four of them but struggle with one, even if I do understand the clue.  Oh well, one gap on the map, at least.

On the wildlife stakes, there are deer, squirrels, hares (massive ears) and a black spaniel.

New Best Friend
Who is this?  And why is it here?
Out of the long grass, in an area devoid of civilisation, comes my new friend.  I am genuinely unsure what to do.

I walk on.  My friend follows me at heel.  I call it over to look at the collar and there is a phone number but I have no phone with me.

I carry on and it frolics behind, reminding me what a good dog is like.  It's happy to be out, it's tail doesn't stop wagging and everytime I think it has run off again, it reappears having spooked a pheasant.  Or a duck.

There are a couple of cottages to seek assistance - the first is guarded by two Rhodesian Ridgebacks, who make it very clear they don't want to help.  The next is a run down cottage that the door is wide open, with the keys in the outside lock.  I shout hello and get no reply.  The high number of flies in the porch make me think something terrible has happened and scamp (as I have now christened him) had gone to seek help from the passing geocacher.

Have no choice to keep on walking.  After another mile we (I can use the plural now) come to a cottage.  A nice lady comes to the door, who does not recognise the dog but helps with the phone call.  The drama is captured on my autographer camera.

I'll read out the number
I'll read out the number
Lady Takes Control
Lady takes control
Reunited with Dad
Mr Spaniel comes in his wagon to fetch the errant hound
He has a habit of running away and the family had been out for the last hour looking for him.  A happy end to some unexpected drama/

Apart from for Mappiman.  I had got used to my new companion and had started to harbour sinister thoughts of bringing her home for future adventures.  Farewell Scamp, its back to finding out where the lazy doodle is hiding for me.

So back on the route and the best part of the walk is through Bannam's Woods.

Into the Woods
Into the Woods for two more caches
All of Worcestershire
Fine views of Worcestershire, as we emerge
Some lane walking to Morton Bagor Manor Farm, where I am grateful there is a fence between me an a field of inquisitive bulls.

Coos
Coos
More good walking and then an unexpected surprise, as I cross the entry road to Studley Castle.  Twenty years ago, I used to come to management training courses here.  In those days, the potential of the countryside meant nothing to me.

Views
Views
Studley Castle
25 Year Old Mappiman - Understanding the wrong sort of Motivation
A little bit of rain, my hayfever kicking in and it must be lunchtime.  I can see the town in the distance and have to pass the church from the way out and then a field with Priory marked on the map.  Nothing left of the priory.  Emerge in the town and make my way to my pub.

Decisions
But What to Have?
Here
The Usual.

2 comments:

  1. That "spaniel" looks very much like a labrador to me? I had a similar experience in the Pyrenees with two dogs I had befriended in the auberge the night before. They turned up behind me an hour after I had departed next morning. It is too long a story to go into here, but much as I like dogs it has taught me to be a bit more careful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a spaniel. He was a right bundle of fun. I did think the walk was going to end with a trip to Studely police station but all ended well!

    ReplyDelete