Sunday 1 June 2014

01/06/14 - I am the God of Hellfire

Distance - 4.5 Miles
Geocaches - 1 Found, 2 Not Found
Walk From - Pub Walks in Buckinghamshire

West Wycombe at EveryTrail


There are going to be a lot more walks blogged from Buckinghamshire.  Today was the day that we moved Ellie down into Wycombe, in readiness for the start of her first day at work.  Fair play to her, she has taken it all in her stride in a way that can only impress her parents.  Good luck Ellie!

Moving her in was a two car job.  Her new landlady thought there might be more than one person now living with her, as we unloaded three suitcases and more boxes than I could count.  I was given the choice of helping unpack and going to the supermarket or to keep out of the way and go walking.

I thought long and hard about where I would add most value.

This is not the first time I have walked from West Wycombe.  In the first ever copy of Country Walking Magazine, there was a route that took in the Hellfire Caves that piqued my interest.  In 2006, I took a visit to the caves carved into the hill for carnal pleasures of 18th Century Nobility.

Today, I only have time for the walking.  Head into the village and park up in the high street.  Get out of car and see the handwritten sign saying that 45 minute parking is 7 days a week.  Even worse, the last line says "And Wardens have been spotted".

A little further along and there is free parking at the NT car park.  I am out, getting my bearings.

All the Village has to Offer
Where to go?
Onto the Hill
Flower Spotting on West Wycombe Hill

Pick up a nice path through the woods and find my first and only Geocache of the day.  Celebrate by dropping off a TB found in the Cotswolds yesterday.

There are two more on my route in these woods, but I have come to the conclusion that my sat nav does not like tree cover.  2x10 minutes of aimlessly going around in circles makes me concentrate on the walking.

And I am rewarded with views as I emerge from the woods at Nobles Farm.

Emerging out the Woods
Rather Spendid
I make my way down through the fields down to the hamlet of Bradenham.  The first thing I see is the pub, where the drinkers in the beer garden burst into a round of applause.  Alas, its not for me, but the cyclists who are racing around these lanes.

Red Lion - Not Patriotic Enough?
Hoping for a more patriotic pub today
Walk on by the pub and admire the church, village green and manor house.  Quintessential England.

Bradenham Manor
Cricket and Religion
More woods follow.  Some very tall trees, several with the tops blown off by the 1987 Hurricane.  Emerge at the railway line and head over the road towards the Mausoleum that dominates the view from the top of the hill.

Then its back into town and to take my pick of which of three pubs will benefit from my custom.

More Patriotic
This looks plenty Patriotic Enough
Sonia has called to say the unpacking has been done.  Ellie makes the most of her new TomTom and drops her off before heading back to prepare for the grind of 9-5 life.

We toast her success.

Bounty
The only way to end a walk

No comments:

Post a Comment