Saturday 24 May 2014

24/5/14 - Hot Chilli on the Rainy Ridgeway

Distance - 10.2 Miles
Geocaches - 31
Distance on Ridgeway - 6 Miles
Start Point on Ridgeway - Barbury Castle
End Point on Ridgeway - A Crossroads near a huge Pylon
Walk Inspiration

I cannot let the weather get in the way of my plans.  I cannot afford to take a week off walking and today represents my last chance in May to add my monthly circular walk on the Ridgeway.

Yesterday, whilst making the choice of which Mr Piggery Sausage Roll to take on my journey, I checked the weather and it promised a 90% chance of heavy rain.  The damn weather men are nothing if not accurate.

So I head off at 6am, working out where the wipers are on my new geowagon.  An uneventful journey until I reach the last couple of miles before Barbury Castle.  I can see a fleet of emergency vehicles with blue lights flashing and true enough, the road is blocked by a Policevan.  A long diversion brings me out on the familiar ground of Piper's Way, Swindon and I am driving past one of my previous workplaces - Nationwide.  Nothing like a work reminder to set you off on your way but it does present the chance to attack Barbury Castle from a different angle.

Unsurprisingly, given the weather and the time, I am the only fool at the car park.  I dress in Goretex Trousers, Goretex Jacket and place my electricals in their Aquapack case.  I should be bombproof, if not slightly unfashionable.

Head out and look for directions.  They are soon in hand.

Ridgeway is this Way
Which way to the Ridgeway?
The start is along Smeathe's Ridge and an unexpected bonus with this leg is the amount of caches.  They are densely spaced along the path but at places where there is a view to either side of the ridge.  Mappiman's May smileys increase dramatically.

Hitting the Caches
Typical Cache - Great Views
Damp Mappiman
Told you I was Goretexed up
I reach the outskirts of Ogbourne St George.  My route from www.walkingworld.com would have me heading through the village and picking up the old railway line.  However, I want to take in more of the Ridgeway, so I keep on following it around the village.  The downside to this is that I don't actually get to see the place but I vow to drive in after the walk.  They may have a pub.  Or a chipper.

Another handful of quality caches before they suddenly stop at Hallam.  This is quite nice, as it gives me some time to enjoy the way without my head in a GPS.

Thatched Cottages
Thatched Cottages at Hallam
The Ridgeway heads through the railway line and then a long gentle climb back up to the top of the hill.

How Far?
How far have we come
As usual when I am 2 hours into a walk, thoughts turn to lunch.  Not that there is too much off it today.  Half of my lovingly prepared and wrapped malt loaf disappeared last night, as Sonia was hungry.  But I do have the king of the Savoury snacks - a Mr Piggery Sausage Roll.  I just can't remember which of the many flavours I chose at the Co-Op deli counter.

Sausage Roll at the Pylon
I vow to find out when I reach the Pylon
One bite in and its confirmed as Chilli.  The warm sensation on my lips is a stark contrast to my wet through Goretex ensemble.  I am not convinced this wonder technology works, as I always end up sodden through.

Drop down from the ridge and a very dangerous but mercifully short stretch along the A346 brings me back to the railway line, picking up my official route again.

The caches start again in earnest along the sunken path.  In the gaps, I am rewarded with a view of my outbound stretch of the Ridgeway from below.

The Ridgeway from Below
Panorama
A final climb, where I am with fellow travellers for the first time today.  Three off road bikers bomb past me and I catch up with them for a brief chat when the worst of the weather today hits.  You know you are in trouble when the raindrops are hurting your head.

Very Damp Mappiman
How damp are Mappiman's Pants?
On arriving at the top of the hill, I find my last cache of the day at a memorial.  Top day's caching, with 100%.  Not bad at all for me.

Memporial at last Cache
Cache at Memorial
Last View over Swindon
One last look from the Ridgeway until June.  When the sun will shine.
Back at the car and I de-goretex.  Bottom half is not too bad but top half is damp through.  Seat heaters on to try and dry out and sat nav programmed to check out the highlights of the metropolis that is Osbourne St George.

Alas, i never get there.  The road is still closed by the Policevan.  Must have been a hell of an accident.

So a detour through the highlights of Swindon.  Who the hell came up with the Magic Roundabout?

No comments:

Post a Comment