Saturday 17 May 2014

17/05/14 - She came of her own accord

Distance - 11 Miles
Start - Banstead
Finish - Kingston
Caches - 2

Striking lucky with the weather again on the London Loop.  A glorious summer day, where suntan cream was liberally applied to the back of my neck and the peak of my Rohan adventure cap got on most of my Autographer camera pictures.

First the train journey.  Excitement at passing Wembley, on this, Cup Final Day.  The joy of seeing very early Hull Fans with their misplace optimism on the tube.  Kick off only 9 hours away, boys.

Then Victoria Station.  Breakfast and a chance to see Micheal Portillo striding purposely across the concourse.  Presumably on a great Train Journey somewhere.

Then the train to Banstead.  It takes as long as the train from Birmingham International to London.  You cannot relax, as the tannoy reads off every station that it is going to stop at.  I could recount them for you now.  They are etched on my brain.

Alight.  Normally I am a solo London Looper but I do have Sonia with me.  She was interested in Kingston.  Less so on the 11 miles that we have to walk today.  And there are more, a solo lady looper - who sets a mean pace and we follow for most of the journey and another looper couple who walk so slowly that they are probably still out there now.

We stride off across the golf course with me able to regale Sonia with my tales of how I actually had to run across this very terrain to try and catch the hourly Banstead Train last time.  I failed, both in keeping my dignity and getting the train.

We are welcomed into Ewell with a suitably impressive sign.

Ewell
Looks Promising
Before we get into Ewell town centre, we have our brush with Tudor History.  Today, we are visiting the site of Nonsuch Palace.  Henry VIII built it but it was mainly used by Elizabeth I.  Not much left apart from a bunch of cockerneys walking their dogs.  Sonia laughs loud at what she calls "their Gavin and Stacey" accents.

Nonsuch Park
Nonsuch Park
All that remains
Only architectural remains
There are a number of numbered marker stones in the park.  I cannot help but think they were trying to tell a story.  I will have a google later, kick myself on missing out on something and have to plan a return.

We arrive at Ewell.  This is a joy, even if its hard work crossing any of the traffic bound roads.  Seems a very pretty little village, with a few pubs and a very pleasant stretch through Bourne Hall grounds.

Bourne Hall Park
If I had an arch, I too would stick a big dog on top of it
Bourne Hall
Sonia instructs a 15 year old on the art of Chicken Defrosting from the Loop

Playing at Soldiers
Army Games in the Grounds.
Its here that we pick up the Hogsmill River.  This crystal clear stream takes is all the way to Kingston.  Sonia admires the quality of the walking, even if there is little to take photos off.

But where are the Geocaches in this Story, I hear the regular blogfans cry?  Well, its all very disappointing.  Cache number one on a trail is meant to be at the sit of a bridge that runs under another bridge.

Bridge under a Bridge.  No cache
Russian Doll Bridge Making
But it is not there.  Three previous DNF and mine to be added.  This sets the theme for the day.  Obviously Surrey Cachers do not take their maintenance obligations with the same zeal as the rest of the country.  In a 11 mile walk, I find two.  A pot with a log book and a church micro.

So with no caches, its back to the walking.  Its an effort.  I suggest we break up the journey and stop at a rather nice looking Toby Carvery.  Sonia wasn't having it.  She said if she stopped, she would never get going again.  I notice that she starts spending too much time looking at the information on bus stops.

We spy our lady looper several times but lose here.  She has sent a mean pace but in true tortoise and the hare style, we find her collapsed on a bench on the outskirts of Kingston.  Eat our dust, we will be the first to a Kingston Bar.

Coming into Kingston
Getting Close to Kingston
With legs that can hardly carry us any further we arrive in Kingston.  It's not Jamaica but its pleasant enough. At least it will be when its finished.  The town square is very impressive but is fenced off with an army of builders laying a new cobbled floor.

We look around for a suitable hostelry and the river is an obvious choice.  Too obvious, every one else has the same idea and its packed.

Kingston
No room at any of the Inns.  Just a photo of the bridge.

We venture back into town and hit the Druids Head.  A great decision - superb food and very quick service.  Just what we needed.

Best Pub Found
Lure me in with your signage
Dinner Order
Time for a facebook checkin
Just enough strength in our legs to make it to the Station. Stage 7 may be back to solo walking but I have been promised that it is the best leg.

Hope to be there in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment