Saturday 19 April 2014

19/04/14 - Game of Thrones

Distance - 4 Miles
Geocaches - 2
Walk From - 50 Walks in Mid and North Devon

Castle Drogo at EveryTrail

Here is the definition of a conundrum.  We don't want to get caught in M5 Holiday traffic, but we cannot get into our Cornish Cottage until 4.30pm.


There is only one thing to do.  Break up the journey with a walk.  So, I peruse my extensive walking book library for inspiration and choose one because it goes to Castle Drogo.


Sounds rather like it should be located in Westeros.  Maybe I have been watching too much Sky Atlantic.


It turns out to be an absolute belter of a walk.  For the first time this year, I am pleased that I have a fiat 500, as I negotiate the lanes of North Devon and arrive at the parking area.  Deserted at this time in the morning, but a scene of much hilarity when we return.


It's a lung buster to get up the side of the valley, but as always, we are rewarded with superb views.




All Uphill
Views, once through the trees
Great Path
Lovely path on the flat
Only one cache to find on the ridge path.  Its nice and big, so I drop off a TB.


Next highlight is the large rocky outcrop of Sharp Tor.  Our hearts are in our mouths as Molly gets a touch close to the edge.  Sonia asks "what would we tell Ellie if she fell off".  I reply that we would have to say that "she has run away".


Sharp Tor
Don't push me, cause I'm close to the edge
We walk on, getting ever closer to Castle Drogo.  It looks impressive on the map, but what will it hold in the flesh?


Drogo Under Wraps
We will never know, hidden under plastic sheeting
Soon, we are at the end of the ridgeway and drop down to the River Teign.  There is another cache that involves a bit of a scramble up another hill.  As I have only 1 for the day, I feel its worth the effort.  And for the views I received, I am glad I made the climb - even if I did have to scoot back down on my aris.


Views
Cacher Views
Caching
A location worthy of a selfie
We do meet our first other walkers of the day.  I am checking which side of the River Teign on my GPS and they instantly ask if we are Geocachers.  I always knew my hobby would catch on.


In hindsight, we picked the wrong side of the river to come back home on.  Both sides have great paths but the opposite side to the one we picked had another cache.
Bridge on the Teign
Should have crossed on over
Weir on the Teign
The River Teign is stunning from either side
The walk back to the car is straightforward but immensely beautiful.  This geocaching lark is good for the soul.  Sonia comments that the increase in older ramblers must mean we are nearing Fingle Bridge.  I remind her of my Cotswold Rambling hero, Harry Hargreaves, who wrote his last book at 92.


The bridge comes into view and marks the end of our journey.


Fingle Bridge
Fine end to a walk

Another great end to a walk
Added Bonus - It has a pub.

It's 11:24am and Sonia asks if it would be OK to have a pint


Cheers
Of Course - We are on our Bloody Holidays!

And the hilarity when we get back to the car park? Its packed solid with people asking "if we will be long?". In pay back for all those times I have waited for a space at Merry Hill, we reply that "we will be 10-15 minutes, after we have our sarnies". Oh the smugness of eating chicken and cranberry baps, whilst three cars wait for your space.


No comments:

Post a Comment