Saturday 5 April 2014

05/04/14 - Pleasures Combined

Walk Inspiration - Millennium Way Stage 11
Distance - 6.25 Miles
Geocaches - 14


Time is just too precious.  Too many plans, not enough free time.  So what to do?

How about combining my hobbies?

This one takes in a Top 10 County Pub, loads of Geocaches and this month's installment of the Millennium Way.  Perfect for a man with more ideas than time.

The route would have us start at the Throckmorton Arms.  I prefer to have Alcester as my start, as on my return, I will be delivered to my pub to investigate.  From previous walk, I also know that the parking is free.

So park up and head out on familiar paths along the Monarch's way.  Someone has been planting caches, otherwise I would have had these previously.

Fields of Yellow on the Monarch's Way
Fields of Yellow as we head out of Alcester
Cold Comfort Farm
Turn Right at the entrance to Cold Comfort Farm
Nine caches as we make out way along Spittle Brook towards Coughton Lane.  Quite a variety and I have to make use of several tools in my Geocaching bag, including Tweezers, Penknife and Magnetic Ariel effect "Bodger".  Add in a couple of near tumbles into various streams and good spirits abound.

Cache GZ
Easily the best GZ on route
A mile on the tarmac of Coughton Lane brings us to the first real things of historical interest.

Ancient Monument
Medieval Cross marking the entrance to the Forest of Arden
We also obtain glimpses of Coughton Court through the trees and over the heads of the new born sheep.  Another walk, another Tudor reference, as this was the home of the Throckmorton Family - close friends of Henry VIII.  Until he tried to divorce Katherine of Aragon.

Two Churches and Coughton Court
From R-L, Catholic Church, Church of England, Tudor Manor House
Catholic Church
Sonia wanted my feet over the top of the tower.  Achieved Neither.
A couple more caches on the way to pick up the River Arrow, which we follow all the way south back to the town.  The walking is OK but expectations of refreshments are taking priority.

I have completed my research and I am looking forward to the eight real ales that are served at the Hollybush in town. 

What happens when you take a woman to a Top 10 Pub
However, Mrs Mappiman has other ideas
But I will not be denied to tick off the Top 10 pubs in my closest counties.

The Hollybush
Unassuming from the Outside
My Turn
Joyful on the Inside
The pub is a proper 10 out of 10 experience.  It doesn't look much on the outside but inside its has a central bar with some lovely alcoves surrounding it.  The dining room and menu looked incredible.

And with my perfect pint of Black Sheep, I was presented with a card to collect stamps from the top 40 real ale pubs in Warwickshire.

Could I have found a new challenge?

We return to the car by walking up the high street passing;

  1. Turks Head
  2. Three Tuns
  3. The Bear
  4. The Royal Oak
All in a line.  All waiting to be discovered.  We get to the car park at the back of the Swan.  We can see two more pubs.  The Swan have a comedy night on tonight.

Alcester.  You are my new favourite town.

2 comments:

  1. Will this do? Click to view

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xpn8qcmmxojqs7x/Mappimanchurch.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the link doesn't work copy and paste into browser to go to it in Dropbox

    ReplyDelete