Sunday 23 March 2014

22/03/14 - Looping into Surrey

Distance - 12.1
Geocaches - 9
Start - Hayes (Kent)
Finish - Upper Warlingham (Surrey)

This is the walk that should have been done in February.  Gales, landslips and a full cancellation of all South East Trains put pay to that.  So I am a month late on the next installment of the London Loop.

The forecasters put the symbols that mean every type of weather is possible today.  Rain, Hail, Wintery Showers are all promised.  In reality, it was perfect walking weather.

Usual 6:40am bargain train and arrive bleary eyed at Hayes station at 9am, retracing my steps to the pollarded oaks of West Wickham Common.  Some alley walking before hitting the first architectural point of interest, Wickham Court.  Dating from Tudor Times, it has strong links with the Boleyn Family.  And my book for the journey down?  The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory.

My life is the Matrix.

Memorial to WWII Firemen
WWII Firefighters Memorial in Wickham Churchyard
Downhill walking to Spring Park where entry onto the loop is stopped by floods.

Loop Under Water
Underwater Loop
The detour allows me to get the first cache of the day, in-between the joggers and the dog walkers.

Proper route is picked up in Threehalfpenny Woods.  This is the motif of today's walk.  There is not a huge amount of interest, we pass only one pub, but the walking is superb in a series of woodlands.  Perfect hiking country.

More Woods
Perfect Country Walking
Pass the meridian marker stone but photographic evidence is impossible, as there are a group of dog walkers having a chat.  I plod on to the next highlight, Addington Hill.

There are a couple of caches to find before being rewarded with a stunning view of the City.  I can make out all the landmarks up to the arch of Wembley Stadium.

Stunning Views
View from a Hill
Leave this set of woods by crossing an unexpected tram line and enter the next set, Littleheath.  A father and daughter are flying a kite perilously close to electric power lines.  Did they not watch the 70s public safety films?

The London Loop shares a stretch with the Vanguard Way, which runs from Croydon to Newhaven.  Inspiration for another adventure?  Maybe.

Vanguard Way
More Woods
Couple more caches in Selsdon Woods, where I am followed by a man in a most unsuitable bike.  He is on rutted woodland tracks on a racer.  I walk much faster than his wheelspinning manages.

More Woods
You get the picture.  Lots of Woods.
A decision needs to be made at Hamsey Green.  This is the end of the official leg of the route, but does mean catching a bus into Croydon to get home.  I have already spied that another mile and a half will get me into Upper Warlingham for a train back to Victoria.

I decide to add in a small amount of the next leg's loop section to get here.

End of the Walk
The Pub at the end of the walk has been knocked down
We Enter Surrey
Entering Dirty Surrey

After 12 miles, I am gasping for a pint.  A nice pink pub in the town greets me but it's camp decor belies the angriest set of punters I have observed.  Its packed with football fans and I can only assume from their demeanor that they are Arsenal Fans.

Pink belies it's scariness
Rougher than a Badger's Backside
I move on, and save myself for a more civilised pint back at the Albert in Victoria, catching the end of the game.  Chelsea 6-0 Arsenal.



1 comment:

  1. I don't know much about football, but I reckon you were well out of that pub if your speculation was correct.

    ReplyDelete