Sunday 26 January 2014

25/1/14 - Plane Spotting

Distance - 7.3 Miles
Geocaches - 4
Start - Marston Green Station
Finish - Solihull Station

The Brummie Ring Phase 9

Brummie Ring Phase 9 at EveryTrail

Sonia is working in Birmingham today.  Seems the perfect excuse to share her rail commute and continue on to Solihull for Phase 9 of the Brummie Ring.

I need to get to Marston Green and careful planning with TravelInfoDirect shows that the 71 bus goes from Coach Stand G, directly outside Solihull Station.  Oh I do love plotting my adventures.  Bang on 9:20, the bus turns up for my 30 minute trip.  Sat Nav Turned on so I know where to get off.

Minor drama at the destination, the Police are moving a stolen Mondeo, carelessly abandoned in my bus stop.  I watch the ensuing drama (well, a repmobile being winched onto a flat loader) with a handy sausage sandwich and cup of tea from the Cafe that was closed at the end of Stage 8.

Once refreshed, move on to the walk.  And it is a boster, possibly the best yet on the BrummieRing.

Straight from the station, I am in Sheldon Park, which allows me to skirt three parts of the airport perimeter.

TakeOff
Off on their all inclusive Hols
A man comes up to me and asks if I saw the previous plane.  I replied in the negative and he rambles on about how he couldn't tell if it was a 777 or a 747 but it was unusual as it was in all gray camoflage.  I have to cut him off in mid flow before he thinks I am a fellow plane spotter.  I reply that I have only just worked out how the 71 bus works.

The walking is great, with the added drama of an inbound or outbound flight.  I just have to follow the fence.

Stalag
Stalag Walking
There is a lonely remnant of the abandoned Solihull Way.  It is still marked on my OS map, but the signage has nearly all disappeared.

Remains of the Solihull Way
Abandoned LDP
Sheldon Park turns into a Golf Course but has turned into a total slosh pit.  The way is totally flooded.  I wonder how I will get through but when I see two joggers just jump on in, I know it should be OK for a man in goretex everything.  They have seriously misjudged  the depth, it is knee high.  Still, their screams and frolics keep me entertained.

Exit the airport, over a road and along some alleys and I am delivered into the next highlight, Elmdon Park.  The council bought this land in the 40's.  It was a former stately home.  Its high elevation provide some fine walking and views across the Midlands. 

Beacon - Cache 1
Beacon and First Cache Location
Elmdon Park
Pool in the Park
Drop down and the next few caches are available.  The next is 4m up in a tree.  I can see it.  I am not going to climb it.  Especially when there are so many families around.  The next few are along a series of alleys that skirt the perimeter of the Land Rover Factory.  Most are found.  One isn't.

Land Rover
Land Rover
After a short length of road walking, I pick up the Grand Union Canal.  Have it all to myself, save for a couple of canoeists who paddle on by.  One more cache and one more DNF.

Grand Union Canal
All the way to London
The peace and solitude is only broken up by a series of texts telling me that Sonia will be later than expected from work.  No problem to me, I am nearly in Solihull and I am sure that there will be some way of entertaining myself.  I have a book and £20.

Its nice to have the freedom of a couple of unexpected hours in a strange town.  Hostelries await.

The first pub is a little too posh for me but I do take advantage of their outdoor astroturf and seating area to de-gaiter.  And it looks like Solhull, poshest part of Birmingham, is also suffering from the credit crunch.

Credit Crunch Solihull
But what sort of Real Ale for they have?
De-Gaiter
De-gaiter and decide I am probably not the sort of punter they are after.
Choice of pubs.  I have done my homework and the Sadlers Arms is the best rated.  Presumably by people who think that the neck is the perfect place for a tattoo.  Nice enough inside and the landlord comes round with a tray of Monkey Brain cocktails that he has knocked up.  I stop counting as he reveals the fourth alcoholic ingredient.

Pub Number 1
The Monkey Brains are on Me
Move on to the town centre proper and pop into the Masons Arms for lunch.  Its going to be Scampi.  I am asked whether I want to supersize it, and I think why not, I have plenty of time, a score and have worked up an appetite.

Solihull and Pub Number 2
Historic Solihull - left of TouchWood
In exactly the length of time it takes me to walk back to my table (plus 30 seconds) my meal is delivered.  I am told where the cutlery and condiments are, without the offer of them being fetched and count my deep fried shrimps.  There are eight of them.

Thank god I supersized.

Decide that I will catch the 14:17 back to Kidderminster and meet Sonia there.  The train goes through an incredible thunder and lightening storm, with massive hail stones.  In January. 

A spectacular end to the possibly my favourite part of the Brummie Ring.

Two to go.

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoying your blog. Have walked that golf course a lot in Covid. The Saddlers is now the tap and tandoor which serves Indian food, cocktails and craft beer. Well worth a revisit.

    ReplyDelete