Friday 13 December 2013

12/12/13 - While Ye Have Light, Believe

Distance - 7.5 Miles
Geocaches - 8 (and then one in Central London)
Start - Bexley
End - Petts Wood


This was a superb idea.  In principal.  Take advantage of my free time and complete a second stage of the London Loop.  Cheap tickets were ordered but I had to wait for the rush hour to be over.  This meant the 11:20am from Birmingham International was chosen for its sub £10 price, getting me to Bexley by 1:30pm.

I had failed to take into consideration that its dark by mid afternoon tiffin in our great, yet bleak country.

So I get a wriggle on.  Out of Bexley (a great phrase, it is a no decent pub dump) and immediately onto the London Loop.  First cache of the day is entertaining and requires special tools, also cunningly hidden, but does use up too much daylight.  Still a smiley is a smiley.

Then a bit of rough ground where I make friends with several dogs.  One of them leaps up at me, muddying my trousers.  I wouldn't mind but a)  I am into the City in the evening (cheap train back, 9:43pm) and b) he leaves slobber all over my crotch.  I don't initially notice this.  It makes look like I have got a bit too excited Geocaching in Kent.

The walk then gets very beautiful.  Initially, I walk alongside the shallow River Cray.  A few caches to keep me entertained, but the tree lined avenues and the Cray are fine enough in their own right.

The Cray
The Cray
Five Arch Bridge
Leads to Five Arch Bridge - A weir and a lake
The first town, Foots Cray, is reached.  I am pleased that I have packed my head torch.

Foots Cray
Am I going to be in the woods in the dark?
All the motivation I need
Have Faith Brother - there is a sign!
I take this as a message.  Positively leg it through Sidcup, taking a couple of snaps on Sidcup Place.  On the map, it says "Offices".  Nothing of interest there.  When I make it home, the guidebook says that the Council sold them and they were converted into a pub.  Great big massive Doh!

Once through Sidcup and its road systems, I pick up another nature reserve, Scadbury Park.  This has its history, once the manor house of the Walsingham's of Tudor fame.  It now has been colonised by Parakeets and provides some superb wild walking.

Scadbury Park
Entrance

Parakeets
Parakeets Scrapping in the Trees
The next cache series are all in Petts Wood, which is reached by leaving Scadbury Park and crossing a road.  Plenty to go at, but I stick to the ones that are by the main path.

Petts Wood
Entering Petts Wood
Getting Spooky
But its starting to get spooky
On a normal day, this would be superb walking.  I am not sure that I want to be here alone at night though.  I keep getting spooked by strange animal noises and the odd weirdo on their own.

Sunset....
Sunset leads to...

.... leads to nightfall
... Nighfall.  And I am still in the Woods.
I still can't resist increasing the smiley count and grab a couple more caches.  Then it is over the complex railway tracks, through some more woods and into Petts Wood town.

I have not heard of this place before.  I am hoping for refreshments, warmth and a pint.

Wetherspoons
Sovereign of the Seas will do
It's a Wetherspoons.  I sit with my post walk pint and reflect on how I must be getting older.  I used to class them as anti-pubs - soulless drinking sheds full of people you would not want to meet in dark woods.  Now, I take them as a mark of consistent quality, no matter where you find yourself in this country.  The beer is rarely anything less than exceptional, with plenty of real ale choice.

And they have really nice toilets.

No comments:

Post a Comment