Saturday 12 October 2013

12/10/13 - Train takes the Strain?

Distance - 7.3 Miles
Geocaches - 8 New Ones found
Start - Longbridge
Finish - Old Hill
Stage 2 - The Brummie Ring


The Brummie Ring continues to evolve.  7 days on from the initial plan and phase 2 takes shape.

First off, I have to get to my starting point at Longbridge.  I decide the easiest thing is to drive to the end point, Old Hill and then take the two trains to Longbridge that are required.

Parking is easy and free.  I ask the man in his hut for a single to Longbridge.  I get the feeling I am the first person to ever ask for this as he fannys around with his machine for an age.  I take my ticket to the shelter, keeping out the worst of the rain.

Now, after estate agents and recruitment consultants, the next biggest professional liars are people connected to the travel industry.  My 9:06 train has a 20 minute delay.  So I go and find a quick cache.  When I get back, it's been cancelled.

I need to wait for the 9:36.  Which is coming in at 9:55.  It gets to 9:54 and a woman is kicking off.  She has had a word with Mr "Don't know where Longbridge is" and its not coming.  At 9:57, our electric board of doom tells us its coming at 10:06.

It does.  At 10:04, a hoard of elderly shoppers emerge from nowhere.  How come I have waited for an hour and they turn up bang on time?  I can only think they have the sight.

Train into Moor Gate and then a quick walk into New Street.  Be nice when its finished.  Get the correct Redditch train to Longbridge.  Nice journey, alongside the canals and through Cadbury's factory - something I have never seen before.

Alight at Longbridge.  I know I have a good couple of miles of road walking and it starts OK - getting me a cache and then a sausage roll from Tesco Express.  The bit of road walking at Egghill lane needs a rethink - no real path and cars zooming past.  It does have good views and takes us to Frankley Beeches but it's too dangerous.  Other people's safety is in my hands.  Well, at least Mrs Mappiman's is - at the moment, she is the only person taking an interest in the Brummie Ring.

Needs some thought
Frankly, Mr Shankley, Its a race track

Couldn't be more pleased to get on the footpath and drop down to the M5 at the services.

Frankey Mr Shankley
So close to Burger King and M&S Simply food - but no Cigar
Maybe its leaving the roads behind, but I have some good walking as I make my way across fields and through woods to Illey.  There are a couple of caches to get that need a text home to help decipher the clues.

Get a well received, but unexpected chance to rejuice.

Half Time Refreshments
There was a woman staring at me through that window
Well all need rejuicing
Sat Nav and Mappiman need a top up
Pick up the Monarch's way through some more fields and get a chance to become re-acquainted with the old Abbey at Halesowen.  I still cannot quite get over the fact that something built in 1215 is opposite the Sandvik factory.

Over the A456 and into Leasowes Park, picking up the number 2 Dudley canal.  Its not up to much in the early stage but does improve.

Overgrown Start to Canal
From Rack and Ruin....
More like a Canal
To a geocache superhighway
The canal takes me all the way to Gorsty Hill Tunnel.  I can walk no more but my station is close by.

For my fan(s), I need to provide post walk refreshment and we have perfection.

Chipper and Pub - Refreshment Choice
A chipper opposite a pub
We want to give the tourists a sample of black country life and this pub has got the lot.  Tick off man with tattooed neck.... tick off top quality Enville Ale and the number one thing on the menu list behind the bar?

Faggots.  £5.95.

No comments:

Post a Comment