Sunday 25 August 2013

25/08/13 - Bomber

Distance - 6.9 Miles
Geocaches - 6
Walk From - Trail Magazine June 2013

Bleaklow Head



A promise was made to help a student avoid a long train journey after work.  I don't mind... I have the chance for further exploration of the Peak District.  I have had my eye on this walk for a while - a new mountain summit with the added frisson of an air crash site.  And a drive up the Snake Pass.

One of the exciting things about planning a walk is getting the stuff together for lunch.  Yesterday, I headed down to the co-op and bought a large cob.  I took it to the deli and asked for enough chicken to fill her up.  I got home and whilst preparing for a shopping trip, Sonia kindly made me a bacon sandwich on crusty bread.  I then saw the crusty loaf and used it for evening beans on toast.  Even later in the evening, Sonia asked me where my walking loaf had gone and I said that I hadn't bought a loaf, just a large bap.  It took here about 20 minutes for her to stop laughing as "I had eaten my own lunch".  Turns out there is a fine line between a small loaf and a large bap.

The other thing to consider is what to wear.  Having checked the forecasts, it promises Glossop based sunshine.  On parking up on Snake Pass, I can only say I am glad I have thrown my micro fleece into the car.  The wind and cloud are a bit of a surprise.  Also leads to disappointing views at the start of the walk.

Murky Start
Nothing to see really
The start of the walk is on the well marked, and sometimes paved, Pennine Way.  Have to hold onto my hat in the wind and there is next to nothing to see.  Occasionally, I overtake some other walkers - including Milly the Labradoodle. 

The ascent is as gentle as it gets.  In fact, you only know that you have reached the top of Bleaklow when you reach a pile of stones with a pole in it.

Bleaklow Head
I have arrived
There is an earth cache and a physical cache to show and also directions to be given to the Wain Stones.

I am off there myself.

Wain Stones
From an angle, they look like two faces kissing.  Mountain romantics.
I am then heading off-piste to take in the Hern Stones and a micro cache.  The going is tough - all peat hags - but surprisingly I am on terra firma and there are none of those horrible moments when you think the peat is trying to steal your boots.  Even I am impressed that I can use technology to find something the size of your finger in the middle of a peat bog in the first place that you look.

I am not on real paths but every so often, you see a boot print that gives you the confidence that you are heading in the right direction.

I have marked on the map the exact location of the crash site.  This was a B29 Superfortress - named the overexposed - that came down in 1948, with a loss of 13 lives.  The wreckage is spread over a wide field and instantly, the engines and wheels are recognisable.  Its in quite amazing condition - I am staggered that the peat hasn't sucked into the bowels of the earth.  In the fog, with overhead aircraft coming into or out of Manchester Airport, its all rather eerie.

Wreckage
Crash Site
Wreckage
Memorial
I sit on a rock to put my camera away. My sandwiches aren't up to my usual standard but Milly the labradoodle comes charging around the corner and sticks her snout straight in my bag. I thought my labradoodle was bad, but at least she waits until you offer.  Glad that I wrapped them in tin foil.

Move on from the wreckage to the next high point - the Higher Shelf Stones.  And as if by magic, the clouds start to lift and the sun comes out.  My god, what a vitsa I would have missed.

First I admire the chiseled graffiti - the oldest I spot is 1871.

Ancient Grafiiti
Kids today just draw knobs
I then have a hunt around for a cache - which is found and decide to take in another thats over at the Lower Shelf Stones. 

Lower Shelf Stones
Another Cache in the Bag
With the sun out and Milly nowhere to be seen, I decide to risk lunch.

Lunch
With no crusty bap, hovis had to suffice.
I retrace my steps again to go through the crash site and then head east to try and pick up the Pennine way again.  Its tough going - what looks like flat land often hides 10 foot mud gorges that have to be traversed.  Still, I get through  it and head back on the path I came up on.  Only this time in the sunshine, admiring the views that were cruelly denied earlier.

There is one cache left at Urchin Clough.  I have 2.5 hours before Ellie needs to be picked up.  I go for it.

This was one of my better choices.  The views are superb.

Urchin Clough
Having a cloudy start makes you appreciate the views even more when they come
With this final cache in the bag, I retrace my steps to reach the car.  Its a lot different to when I got here.

Gloom Lifts on the return
Back at the beginning
Still got an hour and half to kill before Boots chuck out the good people of Didsbury.  But what shall I do?  I know.....

Royal Oak - Glossop
Warning sign against bad 1980's albums

No comments:

Post a Comment