Saturday 17 August 2013

17/08/13 - Cockshot to Cradley

Distance - 5.61 Miles
Geocaches - 6
Walk Inspiration


One of those weekends where everything is setup nicely.  All the family friends kids got their required A level results.  Friday night took in both a visit to the Hive library and the new Alan Partridge film.  When I get back from the walk, the premiership kicks off.  And we have a fancy dress party to attend.  Photos on Facebook, not on the blog.

Mind, its not all celebrations.  I am now the only person in house who doesn't own an iPhone - Windows Mobile will rise again.  And its a miserable overcast day, with the promise of 12pm rain.

But where to walk?  Top 10 county pub walks have been sadly neglected since April, so check my list and I can combine a www.walkingworld.com walk with the promise of a fine drink in a superb walking part of the Country - The Malverns.

Head off at 8:45am - needing to get in the pub before the rain.  Park up at West Malvern, with the pub at the start of the walk.

Works outing for Bish
Come on Bish - we can have a work's outing here
As well as making my top 10 county pubs list, this fine drinkery is also the winner of Pub with View competition 2005.  I wonder what happened to that particular prize?  And how do you lose it in 2006?  Does a pub get built in a nicer location?

Finest Pub View - 2005
What's around the Corner - Well you should have been here in 2005
The footpath drops down steeply away from the Malvern Hills and soon meets the Worcestershire Way.  I meet a pointless stile in the middle of a field.

Pointless Stile
But of course - observe the countryside code
This is an unusual walk in that I am waling down hill - past farms and through woodland and arrive at Cockshot Hill.  Stunning views from here - they really should have built a pub.

Cockshot Hill
Great Views
DSC02613
But not great conditions for Timer operated Photos
Drop down to Netherley Farm.  I have pre-determined that I can add a geocache round to the planned walk by circling the small village of Cradley.  This is a great choice - as the caches are good and the village is quite pretty - with a nice church and war memorial.

Cache 1 requires me to get down to business and remove my caching utility bag.  Cache soon found.

Spot the Geocache
Spot Cache 1 of the day
Muggled at cache 2, as I am signing the log.   A jolly dog walker, jauntily carrying a bag of poo, creeps up behind me and says hello.  I must have lept out of my skin as she apologises for scaring me.  Cache 3 has the largest amount of treasure I have seen for some time (well done CO) and a TB. 

Come to the church and take a few photos as I wait for scary poo bag swinger to pass me for the 2nd time.  She goes and I find cache 4, containing another TB.

Cradley Church
The Pretty Church at Cradley
Cradley Church
Mappiman at Cache 4 Ground Zero
The circuit around the village takes in a couple of small caches before I meet back with the route proper at the base of Cockshot Hill.

That was a well worthy diversion.

I continue on a great bridleway towards Mathon Court - which now appears to be called the Priory.  Not sure this is the one for sex/drug/alcohol addicted celebs.  It appears to be an orphanage. 

As I spent the start of the walk going downhill, I know that I have all my uphill walking at the end.  Its not too bad and of course, the prize awaits me.

Black Pear
Dog's at the hairdressers today, so I am allowed inside
It's 11:55am.  There is one punter in there before me.  The pint of Malvern Hills Black Pear is well received.  The other bloke thinks I am weird taking photos of myself inside his local.  There's a touch of an atmos.  Doesn't matter - I want to check out the Fag's Folly.

Fag's Folly
Luxury - It's got heaters
And one thing that has improved over my lifetime - weather reports.  12:00pm and the rain starts.

Not to worry, the Fag's Folly is watertight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment